Zoom acquires Keybase

Since Zoom has had multiple security and privacy issues, some of which were at least somewhat deliberate and took way too long to be fixed, I don't use Zoom. I'm still not going to use Zoom if I can help it, regardless of whether they improve their security.

To me this is just bad news. It probably means Keybase will shut down. I think something like Keybase should be open source.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
12:57
Pronouns
he/him

Seems like a strange move. Clearly a face-saving talent acquisition rather than any care for the Keybase product. A good time for an open source competitor to rise as you say!

avena

Local time
08:57

Interesting. I did know Keybase, seems pretty cool though.

Talia

Local time
06:57

I am not knowledgeable about business, but I always find these kinds of acquisitions weird, where a company buys a company that isn't similar to them at all and seems to fill an entirely different niche. Especially when it seems fulfilling their original purpose doesn't seem to do anything for the company that acquires them, which I assume might mean they eventually cease to do what they were originally created to do, which obviously I don't think is good news.

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
12:57
Pronouns
He/Him

Yeah, it seems to be an "acquihire" (acquisition hire). So they get new employees who are good with security but they have no interest in the product. I expect they will shut down Keybase which is sad. Unless they allow Keybase to become an open source project, or a charity, something like that. But Zoom isn't known for being nice so I'm not betting on it :/