Your limits

Your limits

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
09:00
Pronouns
he/him

This thread is about something most try to get around - your limits.
Most time you talk about what you've achieved in live, what you are good in, which trophies you've won ...
But nearly no one likes to talk about what he's unable to do.

But why is it good/important for your well-being? There are a ton of reasons but I will try to focus.

• You remove the pressure to do everything if you tell yourself and others that it's simply not your business.
  • You increase your respect for the ones doing it.
  • Focus and limiting is a major success key for your career/business.

In relation to my job I'm totally unable to create an usable UI/GUI. This resulted in my limitation to only do backend and focus on APIs, business logic, CLI apps and this kind of stuff. This got me where I am now and others say: yeah, with these backend skills I would also reject to do something else. But it is/was the opposite. My inability to do something else (and telling myself that it's okay) resulted in my focus on backend.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
08:00
Pronouns
he/him

Great thread! My biggest challenges are learning 'advanced' programming concepts and really fast burnout.

I revisit and struggle every time to learn more complex programming topics such as proper OOP structuring (though Laravel makes this much easier walking through it!). Don't even get me started on all these new JS frameworks that I am totally lagging behind on. Honestly the constant learning is really difficult, particularly where I prefer to be more of a generalist. It is one of the reasons I love WordPress; I can get a lot done without digging very deep.

I think the struggling to keep up learning is compounded by the fast burnout which is caused by other MH struggles. I think I am getting better at this one (and MH improving in general over past year after a very bad patch starting a couple years ago) and certainly projects like Webwide where there are amazing people along the ride with me is a huge help. Can get a bit lonely otherwise! 😄

Last edited: