Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

Your first website

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 15:39
Pronouns
he/him
What did the first website you ever built look like? Mine was with my dad age 10(ish?) and well, uh, see for yourself:

adamspokemonplace.png

I was super impressed with his coding skills. The domain used to be 'adamspokemonplace.me.uk' and was hosted on NTL World our free ISP hosting.

I'd always been a fan of the computer but creating this really sparked a passion for the web. I would update the Card of the week weekly from my collection. From here I went on to Neopets where I would customise the HTML pages they would give you for your pets.

Those top banners weren't wonky by the way, they were marquees. Oh yeah. 😎

Last edited:

Michael

😎
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
codular.com
I have no idea. I definitely don’t have it still available.

I think it’s one I built on a tool called FreeWebs I believe. 😅

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 16:39
Website
gummibeer.de
I still know what it was but don't have the source. But I could recreate it easily.

It was my school timetable in a HTML table with black background, white borders and text and red text for lessons that have changed compared to regular.

I made it after we had HTML in school, so I was ~13. So I can officially announce that I develop more than half of my life already. 🤯😲👨‍💻

sfcgeorge

Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.sfcgeorge.co.uk
Omg @Adam I love it!

Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 21.57.39.png

Despite going through several computers and even OSes I've always been good at backups... so I still have the HTML of my first site! I was at primary school so 10 or 11 years old. The logo was a gif that rotated! It was very cool. I hardcoded some of the URLs so I know it used to live at http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/sibrow/home.html alas not archived with Wayback Machine 😢

I'm tempted to put it as an easteregg on my current website, but all of the content was flash games and videos and e-pets I got off the internet which no longer work (and aren't mine anyway). It's pretty empty without 😅

(edit: yes it's terrible)

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 16:39
Website
gummibeer.de
Ooh you should! I've been thinking about making a CLI pet or tamagotchi clone for ages. Or one for a smartwatch
The smartwatch would be easier. Doing a good game on CLI is so hard. First of all the limitation to some colors and only ASCII chars and second the limitation of the drawing cycle. It's a lot of work to create super basic things that just work in webpages or apps.

AdamM

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 08:39
No way I still have a screen let alone it being online but the first site I ever built was a Star Trek RPG site using something called the Starship Management System by Anodyne Productions. Learning how to theme a PHP application (before frameworks became a thing) was not only a challenge but taught me a lot about PHP. I actually miss those days when raw code reigned supreme.

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
No way I still have a screen let alone it being online but the first site I ever built was a Star Trek RPG site using something called the Starship Management System by Anodyne Productions. Learning how to theme a PHP application (before frameworks became a thing) was not only a challenge but taught me a lot about PHP. I actually miss those days when raw code reigned supreme.
That sounds like lots of fun! I used to love playing around with software and customising it. Well, I still do, you're currently looking at a prime example. 😆

Is there no trace on the Wayback Machine?

Last edited:

AdamM

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 08:39
That sounds like lots of fun! I used to love playing around with software and customising it. Well, I still do, you're currently looking at a prime example. 😆

Is there no trace on the Wayback Machine?
I actually just looked it up and nothing. Would have been cool to see it again.

• Sad
Reactions: Adam