Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Your first website

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:53
Pronouns
he/him
What did the first website you ever built look like? Mine was with my dad age 10(ish?) and well, uh, see for yourself:

adamspokemonplace.png

I was super impressed with his coding skills. The domain used to be 'adamspokemonplace.me.uk' and was hosted on NTL World our free ISP hosting.

I'd always been a fan of the computer but creating this really sparked a passion for the web. I would update the Card of the week weekly from my collection. From here I went on to Neopets where I would customise the HTML pages they would give you for your pets.

Those top banners weren't wonky by the way, they were marquees. Oh yeah. 😎

Last edited:

Michael

😎
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
codular.com
I have no idea. I definitely don’t have it still available.

I think it’s one I built on a tool called FreeWebs I believe. 😅

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 11:53
Website
gummibeer.de
I still know what it was but don't have the source. But I could recreate it easily.

It was my school timetable in a HTML table with black background, white borders and text and red text for lessons that have changed compared to regular.

I made it after we had HTML in school, so I was ~13. So I can officially announce that I develop more than half of my life already. 🤯😲👨‍💻

sfcgeorge

Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.sfcgeorge.co.uk
Omg @Adam I love it!

Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 21.57.39.png

Despite going through several computers and even OSes I've always been good at backups... so I still have the HTML of my first site! I was at primary school so 10 or 11 years old. The logo was a gif that rotated! It was very cool. I hardcoded some of the URLs so I know it used to live at http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/sibrow/home.html alas not archived with Wayback Machine 😢

I'm tempted to put it as an easteregg on my current website, but all of the content was flash games and videos and e-pets I got off the internet which no longer work (and aren't mine anyway). It's pretty empty without 😅

(edit: yes it's terrible)

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 11:53
Website
gummibeer.de
Ooh you should! I've been thinking about making a CLI pet or tamagotchi clone for ages. Or one for a smartwatch
The smartwatch would be easier. Doing a good game on CLI is so hard. First of all the limitation to some colors and only ASCII chars and second the limitation of the drawing cycle. It's a lot of work to create super basic things that just work in webpages or apps.

AdamM

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 03:53
No way I still have a screen let alone it being online but the first site I ever built was a Star Trek RPG site using something called the Starship Management System by Anodyne Productions. Learning how to theme a PHP application (before frameworks became a thing) was not only a challenge but taught me a lot about PHP. I actually miss those days when raw code reigned supreme.

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
No way I still have a screen let alone it being online but the first site I ever built was a Star Trek RPG site using something called the Starship Management System by Anodyne Productions. Learning how to theme a PHP application (before frameworks became a thing) was not only a challenge but taught me a lot about PHP. I actually miss those days when raw code reigned supreme.
That sounds like lots of fun! I used to love playing around with software and customising it. Well, I still do, you're currently looking at a prime example. 😆

Is there no trace on the Wayback Machine?

Last edited:

AdamM

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 03:53
That sounds like lots of fun! I used to love playing around with software and customising it. Well, I still do, you're currently looking at a prime example. 😆

Is there no trace on the Wayback Machine?
I actually just looked it up and nothing. Would have been cool to see it again.

• Sad
Reactions: Adam