Wordpress developers & designers - check in

Wordpress developers & designers - check in

Evan

Wordpress / Divi / Avada / Oxygen
Local time
09:18

How do you use Wordpress? Do you create themes from scratch? Do you use page builders such as Divi, Elementor, Avada, Beaver Builder, etc? What are your go-to plugins?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
14:18
Pronouns
he/him

Hey! I work with WordPress a lot.

Here's some of my favourites:

For clients sometimes I will use a simple starter theme but often I just code from a barebones skeleton I have set-up. For additional options I use Advanced Custom Fields Pro and have recently been embracing this to create custom Gutenberg blocks.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
15:18
Pronouns
he/him

@Adam I'm sorry but I have to leave now. 😅

I would be interested in why you use WordPress? I really don't want to start the discussion what's bad about it and how you can do this or so. Really just want to know what convinces you to use WordPress over Statamic, Twill, OctoberCMS, CraftCMS, Hugo, Gridsome or any other CMS that's out there.^^

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

@Adam I'm sorry but I have to leave now. 😅

I would be interested in why you use WordPress? I really don't want to start the discussion what's bad about it and how you can do this or so. Really just want to know what convinces you to use
WordPress over Statamic, Twill, OctoberCMS, CraftCMS, Hugo, Gridsome or any other CMS that's out there.^^

There is a lot bad with WordPress! I have been playing with new options I just need to find the right clients to try them on. My main reasons for using WordPress for some projects...
  • It is just what I first started using way back when
  • Because I have so much experience in it I am much faster using it which is important when I’m doing it for work
  • I do a lot of work with a particular agency who are a WP house
  • Some clients request it themselves and are dead-set
  • I do a lot of maintenance for larger well established on WP

With ACF add-on there’s not much it can’t do for better or for worse. It pays the bills!

I am doing some personal projects to learn with JAMstack at the moment. It’s quite the shift but I am enjoying it.

Solidus

Local time

I love WordPress.
Been an Elementor user for many years but now dropping it in favor of Gutenberg blocks.
My go-to theme is always GeneratePress Premium.
As for plugins, the ones I install on every website are Litespeed Cache, Post SMTP, Rank Math, Schema & Structured Data for WP, WebP Express, and WP Cerber.

Evan

Local time

I love WordPress.
Been an Elementor user for many years but now dropping it in favor of Gutenberg blocks.
My go-to theme is always GeneratePress Premium.
As for plugins, the ones I install on every website are Litespeed Cache, Post SMTP, Rank Math, Schema & Structured Data for WP, WebP Express, and WP Cerber.
Thanks for chiming in. Hadn't heard of Rank Math before. Our usual plugins these days consist of:

Wordfence, WP Defender Pro, Updraft Plus, Yoast, Smush, SG Optimizer (since most of our sites are on Siteground) and some sort of SMTP plugin if we need it (9 times out of 10 we do).

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thanks for chiming in. Hadn't heard of Rank Math before. Our usual plugins these days consist of:

Wordfence, WP Defender Pro, Updraft Plus, Yoast, Smush, SG Optimizer (since most of our sites are on Siteground) and some sort of SMTP plugin if we need it (9 times out of 10 we do).

I’d highly recommend checking out The SEO Framework as a Yoast replacement. I replaced all my sites with it. All the same stuff with none of the bloat! The devs are obsessed with speed and efficiency.

Evan

Local time

Nice. If it were up to me we'd jump ship to a different plugin, but when your company is so used to using a particular tool it's hard to get them to move away without somehow showing immediate results.

Last edited:

Dynamic

Local time

I work with Wordpress as part of my job although somewhat reluctantly 😅 Since I come from the Laravel world I love to work with Sage and Bedrock. For me the Blade templating engine is a huge productivity boost combined with the familiar controller architecture of Sage.

In general I try to use the least amount of plugins possible but some of my go-to plugins are The SEO Framework, Redis Object Cache, Safe SVG & Gravity Forms.

aravindajith

Local time
19:48

I have been working with WordPress for over a decade. Our team regularly contributes to WordPress core and Translations.
We have handled WordPress development of all scales, from basic blog theme to Enterprise level marketplaces and mobile apps.

We usually develop themes and plugin from scratch. We do not use any generic website builders and try best to use only essential plugins.

We also have a few free and premium WordPress plugins in the market that we designed and developed from scratch. Please feel free to get in touch with me for any help in WordPress.

ek1

Local time
11:18
Pronouns
She/her

I work with Wordpress primarily because it's what I have the most experience in, and my clients usually have experience with it too. I've been playing around with other CMS's just to round myself out but it's a bit of a catch-22 - I don't have the experience with them, so it's not what I use, so I don't get as much experience, so...