Will bigger resolution make any difference in Sketch?

Will bigger resolution make any difference in Sketch?

ReinissB

Local time
05:03

Hi everyone! As I want to purchase a new monitor for graphic design purposes there is one thing that bothers me the most. When I'm in Sketch, my fit canvas zoom is 59% which makes it almost impossible to orientate around my work and easily get things done. Right now I have a 22 inch monitor with 1680x1050 resolution but I am willing to buy a 24 or 27 inch monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. So my question is - Will 1920x1080 resolution make it any better? Will I be able to see a bigger page in artboard? And will 27 inch monitor be any different from 24 inch in this case, if they both have the same resolution?

I really hope you understood my problem. If not, let me know and I will try to explain it other ways. 👍.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
03:03
Pronouns
he/him

You'll be able to fit more pixels on a screen at higher resolution so you will be able to see more of an artboard yeah. The physical size of the screen is personal preference only you'll be able to see the same amount of pixels assuming you have fine eyesight. I personally work on a DELL U2515H Display 25-inch (2560 x 1440) and would highly recommend looking at one on this resolution as it makes a big difference.

1080p on a 24 inch monitor will look more detailed than a 27 inch monitor as the pixels are closer together and less discernable but this all depends on how close you sit to it!

The Dell UltraSharps also have very good colour reproduction. Cheap monitors will often have poor colours which means your design won't look like it should for others!

Last edited:

ReinissB

Local time

You'll be able to fit more pixels on a screen at higher resolution so you will be able to see more of an artboard yeah. The physical size of the screen is personal preference only you'll be able to see the same amount of pixels. I personally work on a DELL U2515H Display 25-inch (2560 x 1440) and would highly recommend looking at one on this resolution as it makes a big difference.

The Dell UltraSharps also have very good colour reproduction. Cheap monitors will often have poor colours which means your design won't look like it should for others!

Well, I don't think 2560x1440 monitors will fit in my budget. It is 200 euros, which is about 220$. Also, I am looking for an IPS monitor because they are much better for graphic stuff than any other. Maybe you could recommend me some monitors for these requirements?

1. My budget is 200 euros = 220$.
2. It has to be an IPS monitor.
3. At least 24 inches.

Of course, if there is any monitor that is good for graphic design with a higher resolution than 1920x1080, I will be happy to look at it.

ReinissB

Local time

Anything in the Dell UltraSharp range you can't go wrong. They are widely regarded as good monitors for design. This one is around 220 EUR and is IPS: Dell UltraSharp U2415 24 Inch IPS 1920x1200 (16:10) 860-BBEY: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

As I live in Latvia, I prefer the Latvian marketplace. Would you mind taking a look at this shop? LED UN LCD MONITORI - LIELĀKĀ IZVĒLE LATVIJĀ. 0% LĪZINGS || 1A.LV
If there you have difficulties understanding the language, I will understand. Thank you 👍

ReinissB

Local time

Thank you! I will consider these.
Talking about Sketch and inches. Won't 27 inches make both of these sides move to the left and right a bit more than for a 24-inch monitor? Or I'm just simply dumb and do not understand how these things work :D

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thank you! I will consider these.
Talking about Sketch and inches. Won't 27 inches make both of these sides move to the left and right a bit more than for a 24-inch monitor? Or I'm just simply dumb and do not understand how these things work :D
No, no matter what screen size you would be able to see the exact same amount of canvas based on the resolution. I could load Sketch on my 1080p 40" TV and I would see the same amount of canvas (in terms of pixel width) as on a 20" 1080p monitor. It would just be more zoomed in on the TV as the pixels are bigger.

Last edited:

ReinissB

Local time

No, no matter what screen size you would be able to see the exact same amount of canvas based on the resolution. I could load Sketch on my 1080p 40" TV and I would see the same amount of canvas (in terms of pixel width) as on a 20" 1080p monitor. It would just be more zoomed in on the TV as the pixels are bigger.

Oh, okay. Thanks a lot! Made it clear for me. 🤝

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Oh, okay. Thanks a lot! Made it clear for me. 🤝
No problem! The computer doesn't really know what physical size the screen is. Just how many pixels are on it so that's the only thing that matters to the computer.

The screen size is just how big you would like your picture to be but won't give you any extra detail or UI space.

Last edited:

ReinissB

Local time

Maybe someone who owns a 1920x1080 resolution monitor or is able to set such a res and uses sketch, could help me out and take a screenshot with Artboard size of 1920x1080 and zoomed in to canvas? I just want to check how It would look.