Why I created another File Transfer Platform "MiDrive"

Tobby

Local time
08:58

I am an independent filmmaker and one of my films had gotten into a film festival and the festival needed me to send a downloadable copy of my film. There was just a little problem. Even though my film file size was around 2G, internet is slow in this part of my world. Of Course I had no choice but I was wrong if this was my only problem. I immediately decided to use WeTransfer for obvious reasons. I uploaded my film ( if the film size was more than 2G, that would have been another problem because it meant I would have to upgrade to a paid plan to send my film), got the download link and emailed it to the festival.

9 days later, the festival reached out and said I have to resend the film as my download link had expired! The truth is that this is the 4th time this particular thing has happened to me and I just wondered what it would cost the known file transfer platforms to give a little more latitude on the basic subscriber. I decided to build a better alternative. And so the idea for MiDrive Transfer was born.

Less than a month later, MiDrive is live!!! Give it a spin and honestly tell me what you think about it. MiDrive Transfer

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Hey,
cool idea - how do you monetize? I don't see any ad or anything. :/

The first thing that comes to my mind: "Send large files up to 100gb" via browser!? :o
I live in Germany and with 200mbps download and 50mbps upload I think that I belong to the faster part of the world!?
But even here an upload of 100GB would need more than 4hours in theory. In practice I need around 6-16hours to upload 100GB (depending on what I do in parallel). So keeping the browser open for this long, don't close the tab, prevent sleep mode and so on for this long is a challenging task.
Now to my idea/solution: how about a small app (a real program) where I can drag'n'drop a file, it asks me about sender & receiver and it will upload in background like the dropbox, gDrive & co clients? The real benefit would/should be that it uploads in chunks and still works if the computer sleeps (it should pause and proceed after awakening). In best case the program has some simple settings like a default sender, max upload bandwith, proxy(?) and so on.

Tobby

Local time

Hey! Nice idea! To clarify a few things though. Maximum single file size to send is 5G and if you are sending multiple files, the maximum size of those files would be 100G. Hence the "send large files UP TO 100G" out of curiousity, do you think this is confusing?

Also, the maximum file size is a point of comparison with our competitors expecially the popular ones.

Also, as regards the ads. We wanted to make this as seamless as possible. We have no intention to add ads in any way by the way. The bigger picture is a cloud storage platform www.midrive.io. Right now, this is our golden goose. But if MiDrive Transfer goes well, we might just decide to figure out how to make this monetizable. Do you have any input as regards this? Would love to know what you think

Wonderful idea about the app by the way. Sure to keep that in the loop

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Okay, yes this should be noted. Atm, for me, it sounds like it's written: send large files up to a size of 100GB. I would suggest something like: send large files up to 5GB.
The total limit could be a simple grey hint text.

Okay, I'm a fan of simple things! But I would still suggest two things: add a captcha and Reach Designers and Developers with Carbon Ads for example. They are small and not annoying. No audio, no crazy video, only a small image with some words. You could put it on top of the form.
For me this would 100000% fine for a free service, even if it's monetized via the cloud storage - a little extra money can't hurt! ;)

And on top of the upload drop area you could add the "download our app" button (if it's finished). The app could be the same like for the cloud storage. This way it would be only available for the paying customers. They could possibly also get a higher upload limit? Like 10GB/file or whatever.
Just thinking out loud.^^

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
07:58
Pronouns
he/him

Nice work! You will need a privacy policy and GDPR compliance to serve us folk in the EU and I would also suggest adding an abuse/contact form so people can report any dodgy files coming through.

Some info about how long the files are stored for, how they’re sent etc. would be good. Maybe just a 3 step flow thing saying drop your files, insert emails, we’ll send your recipient a download link valid for X days

Last edited:

Tobby

Local time

Hey,
cool idea - how do you monetize? I don't see any ad or anything. :/

The first thing that comes to my mind: "Send large files up to 100gb" via browser!? :o
I live in Germany and with 200mbps download and 50mbps upload I think that I belong to the faster part of the world!?
But even here an upload of 100GB would need more than 4hours in theory. In practice I need around 6-16hours to upload 100GB (depending on what I do in parallel). So keeping the browser open for this long, don't close the tab, prevent sleep mode and so on for this long is a challenging task.
Now to my idea/solution: how about a small app (a real program) where I can drag'n'drop a file, it asks me about sender & receiver and it will upload in background like the dropbox, gDrive & co clients? The real benefit would/should be that it uploads in chunks and still works if the computer sleeps (it should pause and proceed after awakening). In best case the program has some simple settings like a default sender, max upload bandwith, proxy(?) and so on.

The angle of doing other things why the upload continues at the background is particularly intruiging.

Last edited:

Tobby

Local time

Nice work! You will need a privacy policy and GDPR compliance to serve us folk in the EU and I would also suggest adding an abuse/contact form so people can report any dodgy files coming through.

Some info about how long the files are stored for, how they’re sent etc. would be good. Maybe just a 3 step flow thing saying drop your files, insert emails, we’ll send your recipient a download link valid for X days

Yeah. We figured the privacy policy issue will definitely come up. We are working on it as currently and it should be live on the platform in a few days time.

Nice input for the suggested step flow

Tobby

Local time

Okay, yes this should be noted. Atm, for me, it sounds like it's written: send large files up to a size of 100GB. I would suggest something like: send large files up to 5GB.
The total limit could be a simple grey hint text.

Okay, I'm a fan of simple things! But I would still suggest two things: add a captcha and Reach Designers and Developers with Carbon Ads for example. They are small and not annoying. No audio, no crazy video, only a small image with some words. You could put it on top of the form.
For me this would 100000% fine for a free service, even if it's monetized via the cloud storage - a little extra money can't hurt! ;)

And on top of the upload drop area you could add the "download our app" button (if it's finished). The app could be the same like for the cloud storage. This way it would be only available for the paying customers. They could possibly also get a higher upload limit? Like 10GB/file or whatever.
Just thinking out loud.^^

Haha. Nice. Actually, we have one philosophy, we wanted to build a product we would love to use. We all hate ads no matter how small but it's worth looking at! I checked out carbon ads and I think they might just be a viable partner. However, we want to see how it goes for now as a plain simple product. Thanks for the comprehensive feedback and suggestions. Means alot