Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:05
Pronouns
he/him

How that?
NGINX + Apache2 Hybrid Stack
This stack is good if you are using .htaccess. Everybody knows that .htaccess is slow, but we can’t run from it because most PHP Scripts use .htaccess for their rewrite and logic. Different from most setup, this stack does not fully proxying Apache2. It is called hybrid because NGINX and Apache2 does their own job.
NGINX is good at serving static files such as css,js,image and icon. And it is better at serving static files than Apache2. By using this stack, your static files will be served by NGINX and dynamic files will be served by Apache2 + FPM.

For sites that need htaccess anyway like WordPress and this XenForo. Otherwise just Nginx!

Last edited:

AndrewDavidJ

Local time
20:05
Pronouns
He/Him

It's always been Apache for me. I've heard things about ngnix and others but, honestly, bottom line it makes no difference. It's about how efficiently you're capable of using them, not about which is best.

Not really appreciating @Gummibeer's bias and general attitude towards this. It all just feels very negative.

Dominic

Local time
02:05

I don't know much about webservers, was never in the need to configure them. But when I was, I wished a nice configuration file in yaml or toml.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

🤔 webserver? Great, another thing to look up
Don’t worry Vicki or anyone else. Managing web servers can be a whole career in itself and you don’t need to know what platform you’re running on or how it works to be a decent developer. Particularly not in today’s increasingly ‘serverless’ abstracted world.

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Don’t worry Vicki or anyone else. Managing web servers can be a whole career in itself and you don’t need to know what platform you’re running on or how it works to be a decent developer. Particularly not in today’s increasingly ‘serverless’ abstracted world.

good to know. I’ve run my stuff locally, but this isn’t something I know much about

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
02:05
Pronouns
he/him

Not really appreciating @Gummibeer's bias and general attitude towards this. It all just feels very negative.
I want to extend a bit on this! I'm really sorry and want to apologize for this misbehaving. @Adam I can't edit options, can you please remove the Emojis?
It wasn't appropriate, primary because one of the main words for this community is "inclusive". I haven't thought about the feelings of the others.

None of the above. I use OpenLiteSpeed.
Added as option.

AndrewDavidJ

Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

I want to extend a bit on this! I'm really sorry and want to apologize for this misbehaving. @Adam I can't edit options, can you please remove the Emojis?
It wasn't appropriate, primary because one of the main words for this community is "inclusive". I haven't thought about the feelings of the others.

That's great to hear! Lots of other people wouldn't have owned up to this normally, so it's nice to see this sort of inclusive positivity on here.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Added as option.

Done! Thanks for being cool everyone. 😎