Which CSS framework (if any) do you use?

What’s your go to CSS framework (if any)?

• Bulma

• Material Design

• Bootstrap

• Semantic UI

• Foundation

• Marerialize

• Pure

• UIKit

• Tailwind

• Plain CSS/No framework

Results are only viewable after voting.

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
19:45
Pronouns
she/her

• what’s your go to CSS framework?
    • What do you like about it?
    • What would you change about it?
  • Is there a CSS framework that you dislike?

For fun, check out NES.css and PaperCSS

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
23:45
Pronouns
he/him

I used to be a Foundation kind of guy but since getting better with Flexbox and Sass I normally just go frameworkless these days.

I don't like Bootstrap because everything made with it tends to look the same. I also take issue with how many people choose to learn Bootstrap instead of learning HTML/CSS since it's so abstracted and teaches some bad practices.

Tailwind (and utility based CSS in general) has never appealed to me but works great for some people!

If I was going to use one now it would be Bulma. Seems to be keeping with the times and still providing value on top of modern CSS.

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

My go to framework is Bulma. I love how simple the classes are. Everything is very easy to read and understand. The docs are absolutely phenomenal. I also like that it’s fully customizable.

I’m not a fan of Bootstrap. It seems unnecessarily complex.

v1rtl

teen webdev
Local time
02:45
Pronouns
bruh

I don't use any of CSS frameworks because I prefer component-based styling, with styled-components, styled-system and Rebass.

I set up the theme, like this:

JavaScript:
export default {
  fonts: {
    body: '"Source Sans Pro", "Segoe UI", Tahoma, Geneva, Verdana, sans-serif',
    monospace: '"Fira Code", monospace',
    heading: 'Aileron'
  },
  fontWeights: {
    heading: 1000
  },
  radii: {
    small: 6,
    medium: 30,
    large: 60
  },
  colors: {
    black: '#232121',
    white: '#F2F2F2',
    blue: '#1E95D9'
  },
  shadows: {
    medium: '0px 10px 40px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);'
  },
  space: [0, 4, 8, 14, 24, 36],
  text: {
    subheading: {
      fontFamily: 'Aileron',
      fontSize: '1.2em'
    }
  }
}

And then I just use component primitives from Rebass, like <Box /> or <Text />. It is very comfortable to use but in the beginning you might struggle with understanding how it all works.

fbnlsr

Local time
00:45

I've been a heavy Bootstrap user until I discovered Bulma. It's so much more elegant.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of doing something with Tailwind though, I find its approach really suitable for apps.

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I usually do no framework. I used to have a reset css but that hasn't really been needed for years, so I usually do without and just reset what I need. Recently I've been checking out Tailwind and used it for a few projects and while it's nice initially, it's difficult to have it remain consistent if you don't work on it all the time or use a heavy componentized structure. I wrote about that here: Making functional CSS work for me.

jdourlens

Local time

I love Bulma, it feels really simple compared to others.
The only thing I find really annoying about it is the class on titles.

<h4 class="title is-4">Hello</h4>

should be

<h4>Hello</h4>

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

I've been using bootstrap for years until I saw tailwindcss. Now... tailwindcss only, because tailwindcss is love and makes everything so much easier 🧡

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

I love Bulma, it feels really simple compared to others.
The only thing I find really annoying about it is the class on titles.

<h4 class="title is-4">Hello</h4>

should be

<h4>Hello</h4>

I find the class on titles to be a great thing. It allows you to be accessible with your headers, but use is-3 on any text.

Last edited:

jdourlens

Local time

I find the class on titles to be a great thing. It allows you to be accessible with your headers, but use is-3 on any text.
This is an interesting point of view. Thanks

Last edited:

Stuart

Local time

I used to use Bootstrap on a lot of projects but I tend not to use any frameworks anymore if I can avoid it.

I realised that I only really used Bootstrap for the grid and navbar but since the introduction of CSS Grid I just build from scratch.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

From design perspective great but will reduce your SEO rating. Google analysis element style since a long time and will reduce rating of a headline doesn't look like one or a text looks like a headline.

SEO gets more towards books: well written and human understandable content.

aaronjamesy

Local time

I've used Bootstrap for years, but luckily already had a handle on HTML/CSS before I started using it, so I think I've managed to offset bad habits. I used PureCSS recently though when I just needed a grid system, and it's super light-weight. I've heard lots of good things about Tailwind in the past year though, so maybe I should give it a go :)

rhysowen

Local time

I know its more of a component library, but PrimeNG/PrimeFaces/etc. needs to be up here!

reginabattle

Local time
Pronouns
They/them

I've used Foundation and Bootstrap in the past — mostly for the grid. With Flexbox and CSS Grid, I don't find a need for a framework anymore.

kkriminal

Local time

I used Boostrap for many years and at the moment I improve codyhouse framework