Solved What’s the Webwide stack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

leigh

Local time
10:42

I'd be curious to know what the advantages of XenForo are over something like Discourse, which seems to be the go-to for (new) forums these days.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:12
Pronouns
he/him

I'd be curious to know what the advantages of XenForo are over something like Discourse, which seems to be the go-to for (new) forums these days.
Have you ever seen a Discourse forum that doesn't look like every other Discourse forum? Their mobile first, desktop never approach makes for a poor experience (imo) for Webwide's predominantly desktop using audience. 😄

I think Discourse is well suited to a support platform or for an additional communication method around an existing community (eg. a game, a product, etc.) which is evidently their targets based from their customer showcase. It seems to fall flat as an all-in-one community system.

XF can do almost everything Discourse can do, and more, plus is easier to extend and run.

On a scale of threaded discussion boards to realtime chat systems...

XenForo -> Discourse -> Reddit -> Slack -> Discord -> Telegram

...I am trying to fill the gap in our space on the far XenForo side. Has it been missing for a reason? Maybe... we'll find out! 😅

Besides, all these systems have importers between each other that keep all data intact so no worries if those needs change in future.

Last edited:

leafygreens

Local time
11:12

Just delighted beyond description that so far there's no resemblance to stack overflow :) (Not a huge fan of badges/achievements though)

Last edited:

leafygreens

Local time
11:12

Is that a facetious 😱? I carry a sack full of stickers. When someone says something in my vicinity- anything- I utter the words "congratulations! You've been awarded..." and slap a sticker on their forehead with an appropriate label such as "silver medallion 'greeting sayer'" or "A for Alpha Expansive Body Language Performer'. If they talk a lot, loudly, for several weeks, without drawing breath or moving, they get the "Major Contribution to Greenhouse Gas Emissions Gold Supernova" sticker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.