Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

What's a great blogging tool you peeps use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 06:50
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
Nice, I didn't know that one. Will look into it.
Sorry I should have linked to their main site that does a better job of explaining rather than the GitHub: https://anchorcms.com/

It's PHP/MySQL based so will work on any basic hosting and it has an installer script so it's as simple as dropping on to FTP and visiting the installer link to fill in your info.

I still maintain that WordPress.com (and if you need more in future, WordPress.org) seems to meet your requirements except not being WordPress. WordPress.com has an enormous network of bloggers happily typing away without any thought behind the technology. But I used to run my blog on Anchor before moving to WordPress, it was nice, I just preferred a little more functionality that WP offered (the new Gutenberg editor in particular).

Last edited:
Reactions: fabulousrice

fabulousrice

Reaction score
Local Time
Yesterday, 22:50
Website
www.fabulousrice.com
Credits
Sorry I should have linked to their main site that does a better job of explaining rather than the GitHub: https://anchorcms.com/

It's PHP/MySQL based so will work on any basic hosting and it has an installer script so it's as simple as dropping on to FTP and visiting the installer link to fill in your info.

I still maintain that WordPress.com (and if you need more in future, WordPress.org) seems to meet your requirements except not being WordPress. WordPress.com has an enormous network of bloggers happily typing away without any thought behind the technology. But I used to run my blog on Anchor before moving to WordPress, it was nice, I just preferred a little more functionality that WP offered (the new Gutenberg editor in particular).
Yeah... the idea of what WordPress should be and was maybe meant to be, is definitely much better than what it actually is.

Ideally, a beginner user could go on the forums, and say, "the way this feature works makes no sense to my beginner's logic/is too complicated", and then someone would listen to them, and make the tool better, more accessible. And by now, anyone in the world would be able to use it, and failure would never happen to anyone.
But here we are, and they had to make a stackexchange community just to help WP users even though it's existed for over 15 years... It never progressed towards the users, to make it more accessible or usable, imho. Actually, it's the same with a lot of products, they cater to a limited core of users and move further away from being able to be accessible with each "upgrade". Even macOS, iOS, etc, that 95% of the population don't know how to use fully.
Ideally, an expert developer using wordpress wouldn't run into all sorts of traps that their crappy UX or frontend tools or coding generates whenever anyone changes anything.

But in reality, their frontend tools are absolute UX filth. The theme editor for example, supposedly "user-friendly"... Like, the blocks making up the page elements absolutely do not need to be in PHP. People could type it in HTML/CSS and when you click "save" it would be propagated to all the relevant blocks.
Generally speaking, people need to stop taking crazy pills and use JS and PHP when they could just use regular HTML/CSS.

Editing any wordpress autogenerated PHP page can lead to a great many clusterf*cks, and then there's the fact that everything you touch ends up corrupting file permissions... Then you have to install add-ons to fix that... I mean, recommending WP to a non-developer is one of the greatest crimes of this century.
Who are the people who own and use computers and are not developers? People like our grandmothers, our grocery store owners... the 95% of the world population who don't have websites or blogs and will never have them because it's out of their reach.

Last edited:

panphora

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 01:50
Website
remaketheweb.com
Credits
Pronouns
they
Hey @fabulousrice, I'm in the exact same position as you. I went through every blogging platform imaginable over the last couple years and I keep coming back to a few strong options.

I think the main advice I'd give you is: use a hosted version of something that you like the design of and pay for it. That's the best way to stop your mind from wandering — once you've paid, you're committed. Otherwise, every time you sit down to write and that writer's block kicks in — you'll be tempted to think about that platform and if it's really the right one instead of just sticking with it.

That being said, I am writing a short blog post about this very thing! I found this twitter thread and was intrigued by all the great responses. I tried a bunch of them out and decided to write about it (mostly so I could refer back to it myself later tbh).

Here's the post I'm working on: https://blog.remaketheweb.com/p/dd28490c-052b-46dd-a04e-ad9735775a63/

TLDR: I honestly think you can't go wrong with Ghost. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.