What static site host would you recommend?

What static site host would you recommend?

robcsaszar

Gold Member
Local time
13:22
Pronouns
he

I currently have three domains bought for both myself and one of my clients and I'd like to centralize the static websites to one host.
Two of the domains I have bought through porkbun.com, tried their static hosting but I don't like how they handled my .htaccess troubles (doesn't redirect to the temporary maintenance page and they can't help at all -- I'd like more control with that).
My clients domain is currently hosted on bluehost.com with cPanel (not static yet).

I've looked around and I keep seeing Netlify and GitHub Pages. I'd like to keep the hosting cost to a minimum but I keep an open mind.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
11:22
Pronouns
he/him

Another one worth checking out might be Cloudflare Worker Sites:

$5/m but I think that covers multiple sites.

Or even some cheap shared hosting with free Cloudflare page rules to cache everything (including HTML).

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
12:22
Pronouns
he/him
Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Another one worth checking out might be Cloudflare Worker Sites:
$5/m but I think that covers multiple sites.

Or even some cheap shared hosting with free Cloudflare page rules to cache everything (including HTML).

Have thought about CF workers but the free tier of Azure is higher. And I already have Azure in use for larger projects.

jarod_peachey

Local time
06:22

I would highly recommend Netlify. I've used GH Pages before, and it's really easy to set up. However, Netlify comes with so much more out of the box. I've only used some of the tools, but they have forms, image optimization, compression, minification, A-B testing, and all that.

ALSO, just checked out Sitesauce, and although it's not available yet, it looks 🔥

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I would highly recommend Netlify. I've used GH Pages before, and it's really easy to set up. However, Netlify comes with so much more out of the box. I've only used some of the tools, but they have forms, image optimization, compression, minification, A-B testing, and all that.

ALSO, just checked out Sitesauce, and although it's not available yet, it looks 🔥

Just ping @m1guelpf so far I know he already assigns accounts but atm not with a public registration.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

And after reading GitHub Pages | Netlify and the GH pages ToS I've switched everything to netlify. 😂
Took me 1min per project and works. But Netlify doesn't end serving your page and is also available for commercial use.

robcsaszar

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he

Awesome, thank you very much for your recommendations. I will be giving Netlify a try - is there something else I'd need to set up beforehand or right after?

avena

Local time
07:22

If you have never use Netlify, I would recommend trying setting up a basic html/js/css site in a folder and upload that folder to netlify in the deploy tab (just drag and drop if you wish), is that simple.

You can connect you github/giltlab repository with netlify so every time you push to a certain branch it updates the code.

For redirects, instead of .htaccess, you can do: Redirects and rewrites and also: Netlify using .htaccess file?

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Awesome, thank you very much for your recommendations. I will be giving Netlify a try - is there something else I'd need to set up beforehand or right after?
Only your DNS if you want to use a custom domain. And any kind of export/build script that generates the static files/assets for you if you want to use a fancy templating engine, CSM and so on.

But you can also start with a simple index.html without anything not even a VCS like @avena said. Netlify is super simple to get in but also super powerful with Forms, Functions, CD and so on.

robcsaszar

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he

Only your DNS if you want to use a custom domain. And any kind of export/build script that generates the static files/assets for you if you want to use a fancy templating engine, CSM and so on.

But you can also start with a simple index.html without anything not even a VCS like @avena said. Netlify is super simple to get in but also super powerful with Forms, Functions, CD and so on.

The way I work right now is that I work on code on my laptop in Visual Studio Code, do version control with Azure DevOps but upload my files via FTP with WinSCP to the live site on Porkbun. I'll give Netlify a try this weekend because this week is just super full for me. 😟
Vielen Dank for all your help! I will certainly be back with more questions, hehe!

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

The way I work right now is that I work on code on my laptop in Visual Studio Code, do version control with Azure DevOps but upload my files via FTP with WinSCP to the live site on Porkbun. I'll give Netlify a try this weekend because this week is just super full for me. 😟
Vielen Dank for all your help! I will certainly be back with more questions, hehe!
My process right now is: I code on my local machine, push my code to GitHub, after a new commit is pushed to master my GitHub Action runs and deploys to netlify.
So my manuell work is only coding. Everything else is done by GitHub.

That's a simple deployment action which runs after every push to master and daily at midnight. You should adjust the steps between "Git checkout" and "Netlify deploy" to your needs. If you use a JAMstack static site builder you can use Netlifys deployment options which allows you to deploy every branch to a new instance so you could check your PR before merging.

anurag

Local time
03:22
Pronouns
He/Him

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thanks for the shoutout @codecanvas. I work at Render.

Happy to help with anything around hosting, even if it's on other providers.

Do you have a GH actions deployment tool? Are the 100GB per account or per page?
PS: I would add the 100GB free traffic to the plans. Traffic is one of the most important and expensive facts. So it's one of the key decision facts and not a FAQ one. 😉

Last edited:

anurag

Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

Do you have a GH actions deployment tool? Are the 100GB per account or per page?
We integrate directly with GitHub and build your app with CI/CD on Render so our users don't have to set up GitHub Actions.

The 100GB limit applies to each static site individually. So you can have 10 sites and they all get 100GB free bandwidth each.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

We integrate directly with GitHub and build your app with CI/CD on Render so our users don't have to set up GitHub Actions.
With all languages to build one? 😱 Pre build tests to let it fail and so on?
For my case it would be PHP including composer but also require yarn/npm for assets.

anurag

Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

With all languages to build one? 😱 Pre build tests to let it fail and so on?
For my case it would be PHP including composer but also require yarn/npm for assets.

We have one build environment for static sites, and other build environments for Node, Python, etc. If you want to run tests you can run them as part of your build, but you can also run them on GitHub and use Deploy Hooks to trigger a Render build+deploy.

We don't support PHP natively yet but you can use our Laravel Docker example. Native PHP support is coming!

Last edited: