• Poll closed .

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
02:41
Pronouns
He/Him

I've used Vim since uni (it's a crazy thing to learn but I find it fun). Though the last few years I've used "vim mode" plugins for other text editors like Atom, Sublime Text and now VSCode.

Stuart

Local time

I've used Vim since uni (it's a crazy thing to learn but I find it fun). Though the last few years I've used "vim mode" plugins for other text editors like Atom, Sublime Text and now VSCode.

What are the benefits of using Vim? Every time I try I get too frustrated and give up 😂

Dominic

Local time
03:41

I would like to vote for multiple items, as I use both VSCode and Vim. Is this not possible?

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

Yes it is frustrating to learn Vim, I don't recommend it. I like the challenge, and it means you can do more with the keyboard; you don't have to keep switching to the mouse. In theory it makes you faster but it takes so long to get up to speed. But if you're happy with a mouse and GUI editor then stick with that 🙂

Michael

😎
Local time

Sublime Text - I use it a lot. It’s just so quick, and as I’m not knee deep in coding much anymore, it’s ideal for jumping between projects etc.

Use vim on servers/cli - sod nano.

fbnlsr

Local time

I bought a Mac 8 years ago so I could use Panic's Coda 2 and I still use it today.

Hanging on tight for their next edition!

I wanted to like Coda, but I don't want to rely on a software that's limited to a single platform anymore. If I wish to switch to Linux tomorrow, I want to be able to use the tools I'm using today. It's a shame they're not building a cross-platform tool, as their softwares are usually pretty well designed.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I wanted to like Coda, but I don't want to rely on a software that's limited to a single platform anymore. If I wish to switch to Linux tomorrow, I want to be able to use the tools I'm using today. It's a shame they're not building a cross-platform tool, as their softwares are usually pretty well designed.
That’s a fair point! They are pretty set on Apple only even in their next iteration. I am exploring VS Code some more as I am tempted by the hype.

Last edited:

Lloople

Local time

I used to code with PHPStorm and couldn’t understand why other people chose text editor instead of a full IDE.
I switched to Visual Studio Code because of that amazing glowing theme Synthwave’84 someone made.

Yeah sure, the IDE has more auto completion and click to navigate, but man Code is so light and looks so beautiful... I have a screenshot in my website

sharegrams

Local time
18:41

I like geany a lot, it opens immediately as soon as I press enter after typing the program name. Anything big is overkill when all you really need is a notepad IMO.

Michael Grafl

Local time

Till about half a year ago I would switch back and forth between Sublime Text 2/3 and VIM. I used PyCharm for some time as well.

I am now using Visual Studio Code almost exclusively. It feels a lot faster than WebStorm but still offers a lot of modern conveniences right out of the box. Things that I would have to add to VIM and Sublime Text through extending them, and often those solutions wouldn't work as well as the built in ones in VSCode.

The pace at which VSCode gets upgraded is pretty impressive, too. The only thing that bugs me is that I'm unable to find a VIM extension that provides an edit/visual mode with exactly the subset of keybindings that I tend to use, while retaining full VSCode behavior in insert mode. But all the good stuff outweighs having to use a mouse more often than I'd like.

Although I'd like to get to learn Emacs or 4coder some of these days just for fun. 😝

frood

Local time

Sublime Text - I use it a lot. It’s just so quick, and as I’m not knee deep in coding much anymore, it’s ideal for jumping between projects etc.
For me that's also the reason I use it all the time, that it starts instantly, and remembers opened windows, and even the content of unsaved files. I used to be a huge UltraEdit fan, and defined projects for everything.. but these days I just open another ST window and drag the relevant folders in the sidebar. If I think up something new, I can just open a new window, open a few files and write, then make up my mind about how to name it or where to save it later, if at all. I love that.

fbnlsr

Local time

Microsoft have been doing great things for open source in the past few years.

Last edited:

Dynamic

Local time
21:41

Crazy how VS Code took the #1 spot seemingly overnight. I remember when I started working at the agency I'm currently with almost everyone was using different editors (mostly Sublime and Atom). I had been using VS Code for a little while and when I showed it to my peers they all switched within a few weeks 😂