What Cloud Storage Platform do you use and why

What Cloud Storage Platform do you use and why

Tobby

Local time
21:02

Hey guys,

I will love to know which cloud storage platform you use to store your file and why you have chosen that platform.
A cloud storage platform for backup and for file transfer.

Reliability, privacy, price, anything will be helpful

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I use azure blob storage because they had, not anymore, a dedicated germany cloud. After it it was easy to move to the public azure cloud instead of switching to AWS or gCloud. I also believe that it's the cheapest (at least for my usecase). And I had exactly no downtime for more than 2 years now. The speed is also good. So everything perfect. 😊

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

For backup?
Ah, right - so in the area of Dropbox & Co. (not server storage) I use gDrive. The only with unlimited storage and with Backup & sync app I can synchronize/backup every folder and the file stream app let me use the whole cloud without downloading it.

Dominic

Local time

I use azure blob storage because they had, not anymore, a dedicated germany cloud. After it it was easy to move to the public azure cloud instead of switching to AWS or gCloud. I also believe that it's the cheapest (at least for my usecase). And I had exactly no downtime for more than 2 years now. The speed is also good. So everything perfect. 😊
You use it for backups? If yes, with wath software? Do you have snapshots or just the current files?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

You use it for backups? If yes, with wath software? Do you have snapshots or just the current files?
I use it for serverbackups - but not for my local machines, this would be too expensive. 😅🙈

Dominic

Local time

Ah, right - so in the area of Dropbox & Co. (not server storage) I use gDrive. The only with unlimited storage and with Backup & sync app I can synchronize/backup every folder and the file stream app let me use the whole cloud without downloading it.

With google drive you don't have old versions, right?

Tobby

Local time

Ye

Yeah @Gummibeer. Thanks!!

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

With google drive you don't have old versions, right?
Have to check tomorrow on PC. Sometimes I believe to see that they announced file versions. But haven't checked it yet. I never need an older version. I only override with improved content, otherwise I create a new file. And code is managed via git. But will check it out.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Ye
Yeah @Gummibeer. Thanks!!
Something a lot of struggle with in the business gSuite.
Yes, the storage is really unlimited. I have 8TB used now and know a friend with 30TB in it and on Reddit there are reports of >100TB.
The limit of 1TB/user with less than 5users in org is a not enforced soft-soft limit. You even don't see it anywhere. We are 2 users with the 8TB. So far no mail or anything.

And the two mentioned apps only work awesome, also in coexistence. So if you don't care about the privacy part: gDrive is perfect.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

PS: for privacy I would everytime use a third-party tool to local encrypt my files. I never trust any server side encryption or told but not proven local encryption via proprietary client.

Tobby

Local time

Something a lot of struggle with in the business gSuite.
Yes, the storage is really unlimited. I have 8TB used now and know a friend with 30TB in it and on Reddit there are reports of >100TB.
The limit of 1TB/user with less than 5users in org is a not enforced soft-soft limit. You even don't see it anywhere. We are 2 users with the 8TB. So far no mail or anything.

And the two mentioned apps only work awesome, also in coexistence. So if you don't care about the privacy part: gDrive is perfect.

When you say unlimited, you mean you pay a fixed monthly fee along with your team for an unlimited storage space?

Last edited:

Dominic

Local time

Have to check tomorrow on PC. Sometimes I believe to see that they announced file versions. But haven't checked it yet. I never need an older version. I only override with improved content, otherwise I create a new file. And code is managed via git. But will check it out.
Yeah, I'm also not sure if I need old versions. In the moment I also use Google Drive, but I want a second backup. And I have already my whole life saved on google servers ;), so I'm not that keen that they also have my files.

Dominic

Local time

Has anyone tried Borg for backup? It looks pretty good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

For backups only I can recommend

And yes, 12$/user for unlimited storage.
You can share it with your family or friends and you also get emails and all this stuff. You can also use multiple domains, do every user can have its own domain for email.

Michael

😎
Local time
20:02

I use iCloud Drive for all of my document storage, did used to use Dropbox but moved away from it. I also use Amazon S3.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I use iCloud Drive for all of my document storage, did used to use Dropbox but moved away from it. I also use Amazon S3.
How much data do you have in iCloud? And for what the S3? Is it for private use or for your servers?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I'm using about 42GB of data in iCloud. :)
Thanks. I think this is an important information. Most cloud storage providers don't offer any plan above 1TB. So everyone in need to store more has to use gDrive or a blob storage (for sure there are more options). That's why I asked. With over 3TB of images and >1TB of assets gDrive was the only affordable solution for me.