Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

WeTransfer is currently banned in India, what this means for MiDrive Transfer.

Tobby

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 09:22
Website
www.festivilia.com
Credits
So I woke up to the news that WeTransfer is currently unavailable for Indian users. Reason isn't still totally clear and I thought this was a hoax but then, I saw an official press release from WeTransfer about the news.

A friend sent a message saying maybe it's an opportunity for MiDrive Transfer (https://transfer.midrive.io) Why that's true, am still kinda clueless how to capitalise on this.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Adam and avena

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
Nice opportunity Tobby! Might be good to share some background on your project for those here not familiar. If you had some Google Ads credit (or could find a voucher) you could bid on the term 'WeTransfer' perhaps to capitlise on some of the traffic?

Try and make a blog post about it on the site, perhaps have a chance of picking up some SEO traffic on people looking it up also. Maybe a page on your site titled "WeTransfer Alternative India", I guess that will be a hot search topic.

Submit MiDrive on here: https://alternativeto.net/software/wetransfer/ and try get some votes. That site already appears on page one for most "alternative to" queries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gummibeer

Tobby

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.festivilia.com
Credits
Nice opportunity Tobby! Might be good to share some background on your project for those here not familiar. If you had some Google Ads credit (or could find a voucher) you could bid on the term 'WeTransfer' perhaps to capitlise on some of the traffic?

Try and make a blog post about it on the site, perhaps have a chance of picking up some SEO traffic on people looking it up also. Maybe a page on your site titled "WeTransfer Alternative India", I guess that will be a hot search topic.

Submit MiDrive on here: https://alternativeto.net/software/wetransfer/ and try get some votes. That site already appears on page one for most "alternative to" queries.
Thank you so much @Adam. This is really helpful and currently taking steps on this.

Reactions: Adam

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:22
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
MiDrive was already introduced here: https://webwide.io/threads/why-i-created-another-file-transfer-platform-midrive.467/
And topic of/in some other threads.

Regarding the opportunity: I think at first it will be an investment business to onboard and bind new customers.
After this you can convert them into paying customers by providing a pro plan with higher limits or more features and try to convince them to use MiDrive cloud storage.
I still believe that Ads in some way, like carbon add, could be also a way to monetize.

Reactions: Adam and blaq

Tobby

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.festivilia.com
Credits
MiDrive was already introduced here: https://webwide.io/threads/why-i-created-another-file-transfer-platform-midrive.467/
And topic of/in some other threads.

Regarding the opportunity: I think at first it will be an investment business to onboard and bind new customers.
After this you can convert them into paying customers by providing a pro plan with higher limits or more features and try to convince them to use MiDrive cloud storage.
I still believe that Ads in some way, like carbon add, could be also a way to monetize.
Thank you @Gummibeer. We actually have some paid features now and have a few customers so that's a plus. The cloud storage feature is becoming more and more important so that's in the works now.
Carbon ads, hmmm. You have suggested this in the past and I think this have a space for exploration. We still have to make sure we have the users we want for this to be viable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:22
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
Thank you @Gummibeer. We actually have some paid features now and have a few customers so that's a plus. The cloud storage feature is becoming more and more important so that's in the works now.
Carbon ads, hmmm. You have suggested this in the past and I think this have a space for exploration. We still have to make sure we have the users we want for this to be viable.
Sure, that's why I said that it will be an investment at first.
But as long as ads aren't interruptive or decrease accessibility/readability/... I'm not against them! Primary on a free service.
If you have enough paying customers possibly something like cloudflare, Dropbox ... model could also work. So let business users pay the small private users. Which I'm also a fan of.

And having an open/visible way how you monetize free plan is better than having users assuming that you monetize the data itself. Do you? 😜

Reactions: Adam