Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

🎃 Webwide Monthly Update: October 2019

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 19:56
Pronouns
he/him
Welcome to the first Webwide monthly update where I offer up some transparency on the statistics and achievements from the past month. Apologies it's a little late! I'd like to get these out last day of each month in future... 😄

October 2019 Forum Statistics
  • Launched October 5th 2019
  • 3110 posts in 402 threads
  • 1,086 confirmed user registrations
October's Most Replied Thread

October's Most Reacted Thread

October's Most Active Users
  1. @Gummibeer (485 messages)
  2. @Adam (445 messages)
  3. @Michael (310 messages)
Premium Membership
A huge thank you to our paid members supporting the Webwide platform financially this month:
@VickiLanger, @fbnlsr, @James, @xtbhyn, @JoyFreak, @tom, @Eoghan, @tobyx, @sfcgeorge, @m1guelpf, @Michael

Income & Spending
Income from premium memberships are the only source of income. In total this month after payment processor fees this amounted to approx. £90. I personally put up £200 to offset the initial set-up costs. Most expenses are tax deductible to offset income tax related costs (still have to pay VAT on purchases).
  • Xenforo License £160
  • Xenforo Add-ons £40
  • Domain name (webwide.io) £20
  • Marketing (dev.to listings * 3) £12.50
Web hosting costs are currently £12 per month* (praise Cloudflare saving 75% of our bandwidth!). This will likely increase somewhat moving forwards as I implement improved image sharing for all users.

*Since I'm such a legendary Krystal affiliate this actually hasn't cost me anything this month, if you need servers, domains or shared hosting in the UK check out Krystal - The UK's Best Web Hosting Provider and use coupon code DB8C8731 for £5 off. I'll get £5 credit too. 😉

So there's £60 in the Webwide coffers for now which will be spent responsibly on growth.

If you've got too much cash weighing down your wallet and you feel like £1.49 is just too good value for your membership. You can "Buy me a (figurative) coffee" with a message saying it's for Webwide to donate to the platform. 😜

Platform Updates
Basically everything, so I won't list it all here. Notably recently the Code of Conduct has been updated with some more guidelines. You can view the roadmap here and make suggestions in the meta forum.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 20:56
Website
gummibeer.de
How often do you have to pay the xenforo license & add-ons? Are they one-time payments, yearly? So how will the financial situation be in november?
Would you need 10 gold members to offset the 12/month hosting? (1.50/month) or would you need more because of recurring license fees?
How about a page like Open Startup ?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
How often do you have to pay the xenforo license & add-ons? Are they one-time payments, yearly? So how will the financial situation be in november?
Would you need 10 gold members to offset the 12/month hosting? (1.50/month) or would you need more because of recurring license fees?
How about a page like Open Startup ?
Great question! There is a (smaller) annual renewal cost of $55 + VAT for Xenforo (it is optional but required for updates which of course we'll do for security!) and the domain name will renew at around £20. It'll be nice if there's some in the coffers for that time but if not I'm more than happy to cover! Those are not a problem. 😄 Open Startup page is nice idea. 👍

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Because most costs are somehow yearly or could be easily multiplied to it an annual calculation would be great.
So like:

the first year will cost:
150 + 40 + 20 + (12 * 12) = 354
the second year will cost:
50 + 20 + (12 * 12) = 214
And possibly a graph that displays how many of the goal is reached. I would say that no one will cancel his subscription the moment the bar is 100%. Instead someone could be motivated to spend something to get the bar to 100%.^^
There could also be optional goals for over 100% donations. Like 150% a postcard for every gold member and so on. Or community goals - like: 100$ are needed to add XYZ feature. The list of features could be vote based, every feature has its "value" and if the value of the top voted feature is reached (on top of yearly costs) it gets into development. I could image that the member map could be an idea for example. SO features that aren't critical and only a bonus for the community.

• Hot
Reactions: Adam

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Because most costs are somehow yearly or could be easily multiplied to it an annual calculation would be great.
So like:

the first year will cost:
150 + 40 + 20 + (12 * 12) = 354
the second year will cost:
50 + 20 + (12 * 12) = 214
And possibly a graph that displays how many of the goal is reached. I would say that no one will cancel his subscription the moment the bar is 100%. Instead someone could be motivated to spend something to get the bar to 100%.^^
There could also be optional goals for over 100% donations. Like 150% a postcard for every gold member and so on. Or community goals - like: 100$ are needed to add XYZ feature. The list of features could be vote based, every feature has its "value" and if the value of the top voted feature is reached (on top of yearly costs) it gets into development. I could image that the member map could be an idea for example. SO features that aren't critical and only a bonus for the community.
PS: this way you or the developer who does the job could get "paid" at least a bit (we shouldn't start with the typical (EU) ~100€/h rate) the value should be more a calculation of possible new resources needed (traffic, server, SaaS ...) and something like 5-10€/h needed to develop it - or a fixed rate of 50€ for development).
PPS: for the case another dev does the job it could get complicated to transfer real money to him!? So it could be an idea to use amazon coupons or any other coupon the dev wants?

• Love
Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks so much everyone! Is there anything else you’d like to know? I thought about moderator actions eg. Threads removed/accounts banned (just the number, not calling anyone out!).

In October, 2 accounts have been banned and 1 thread has been deleted. All of these were filed under ‘spam’. No other warnings given! You’re all too nice. 😊

Whenever you use the report function you’ll personally receive a notification with the action taken so you know it’s been reviewed.

Last edited:
  • Cheer
Reactions: Gummibeer