Webwide is the inclusive discussion community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. Creating an account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

🌟 Webwide Monthly Update: November 2019 (plus announcing Webwide 1.1)

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 23:33
Pronouns
he/him
Welcome one and all to another Webwide monthly update. This time, for November 2019.

First, I would like to welcome you again, but this time to Webwide 1.1. You will likely have noticed several changes, some popping up over the last week or so and some put live just recently. I am not really keeping track of versions, but hey, there's quite a bit here and not sure what else to call it!

Webwide 1.1 Changes

New Features
  • New casual water cooler 'live thread' in the homepage sidebar
    • The water cooler thread is a trial run of a easy to access casual chat which writes to an archive so that it is easily caught up on and nothing is lost. The intention for this chat is to create the lowest possible barrier to entry for users to participate and to encourage activity. If it is not used, is not used for the right reasons, or it in any way detracts from other conversations on the forums – it will be removed. A bot user will periodically check-in to suggest content waiting for replies.
  • New referral functionality and scoreboard
  • All users can now enjoy profile posts on their own and others profiles, a feature previously limited to gold members
  • All users can now take advantage of enhanced profile customisation including a cover banner and custom tab
  • New secret trophies 🤫
Style Changes
  • Webwide logo updated
  • Primary blue updated
  • Various typography and iconography improvements
  • New welcome section for guests
  • Dark theme improvements
  • Gold upgrade page improved
  • Footer improvements
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed pull to refresh sometimes activating when scrolling up mobile sidebar
Other
  • Improved LiteSpeed cache integration for enhanced speed for visitors
  • The 'Sponsored Listings' trial has ended and been removed
  • Improved onboarding and pacing of notices
  • Minor PWA improvements
As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. There's still a lot more I would like to do but this seemed a good place to put these ones live.

November Update

Community Stats
  • 203 new users
  • 504 new posts
  • 115 new threads
Thank you so much to everybody who has joined in and participated this month.

November's Most Replied & Viewed Thread

Premium Membership

A big extra thank you to all of our Gold subscribers this month:
@VickiLanger, @fbnlsr, @xtbhyn, @tom, @Eoghan, @tobyx, @sfcgeorge, @m1guelpf, @Michael

Income
Income from premium memberships remains the only source of income. This month approx. £17 after payment processor fees was raised. This covered our hosting costs of £12. There were some additional expenditure for 2 XenForo add-ons totalling around £15.

If you've got too much cash weighing down your wallet and you feel like £1.49 is just too good value for your membership. You can "Buy me a (figurative) coffee" with a message saying it's for Webwide to donate to the platform.

Moderator Actions
3 accounts banned for spam. No other warnings!

Of course a quieter month this month which was to be expected. I am certainly not discouraged. I have been quietly working on QoL improvements on the forum ready for a bit of a marketing push over the next couple of weeks. Details follow.

Coming Up This Month
  • The first Webwide Digest goes out on Friday to all users opted in for update emails. Users will be given the option to opt-in to either fortnightly or monthly Webwide Digest emails containing hand-picked top posts from that period. I expect this will be a nice boost keeping interested but distracted users in touch with the community.

• This weekend, Webwide Perks is launching. I have been arranging deals and coupons for relevant products and services exclusively for our Webwide members. Mostly, this is just a way of saying thanks for being here. Some vendors offer affiliate schemes which could also offer a small additional revenue stream in order to fund the platform but this was not the aim of the project.

• The Webwide Blog launches sometime this month. A notice will be going out soon to hopefully collect some articles for launch. I intend for this to be an open source collaborative project so you will hear more on that very soon!

• A referral drive featuring real prizes to celebrate the holidays.

Last edited:

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Gold Member
Community Team
Reaction score
Local Time
Tomorrow, 00:33
Website
www.stickerrun.com
The new logo is great, fits nicely to the rest of the website 😊 Good job!
I'm really looking forward to all the new things that are in the pipeline for this month.

Thank you Adam!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gummibeer and Adam

avena

Reaction score
Thank you @Adam ! 🤘
Webwide is getting better overtime. You've built something great!

• Love
Reactions: Adam

Evan

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 18:33
I was initially unable to use the dark theme. When selecting 'True Black' and pressing Save, I received an error message saying:

" Please enter a value for all required fields. "

I didn't really even spot the Webwide Digest dropdown or that it was a required field. I would suggest either focusing on it when trying to press Save, or remove the requirement entirely.

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Have you added markdown support? 😱

Because I did a valid quote by starting the line with a >.
Update: all the styling was done with markdown. 🥳🤯🔥😎
@Adam you are the best!!! It's now much easier for me to write on mobile but also on desktop because I'm used to use markdown - MD is like my natural writing these days. (Blame GitHub, Slack, WhatsApp, Facebook and all the others supporting it 😂)

Last edited:
  • Love

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 23:33
Pronouns
he/him
I was initially unable to use the dark theme. When selecting 'True Black' and pressing Save, I received an error message saying:

" Please enter a value for all required fields. "

I didn't really even spot the Webwide Digest dropdown or that it was a required field. I would suggest either focusing on it when trying to press Save, or remove the requirement entirely.
Thanks Evan, I added this field but older users of course don’t have it set. I’ll set everyone to never so the error isn’t as confusing. Thanks for letting me know!
Have you added markdown support? 😱

Update: all the styling was done with markdown. 🥳🤯🔥😎
@Adam you are the best!!! It's now much easier for me to write on mobile but also on desktop because I'm used to use markdown - MD is like my natural writing these days. (Blame GitHub, Slack, WhatsApp, Facebook and all the others supporting it 😂)
Oh yeah! Partial markdown support. Need to hook up a few more but lists, quotes, code and bold/italics should mostly work!

• Hot
Reactions: Evan and Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Oh yeah! Partial markdown support. Need to hook up a few more but lists, quotes, code and bold/italics should mostly work!
Those are the most important! Headlines aren't required and tables are markdown plus. Does code support the code type on first line? (Will answer myself in next paragraph 😅)

PHP:
echo "Laravel is awesome";
Okay, the only missing things would be links GitHub and/or images

if they aren't already - also self answering after posting. 😉

Update: everything works like a charm! 💙💙💙

Last edited: