- Local time
- Sep 24, 2019
Welcome one and all to another Webwide monthly update. This time, for November 2019.
First, I would like to welcome you again, but this time to Webwide 1.1. You will likely have noticed several changes, some popping up over the last week or so and some put live just recently. I am not really keeping track of versions, but hey, there's quite a bit here and not sure what else to call it!
Webwide 1.1 Changes
- New casual water cooler 'live thread' in the homepage sidebar
- The water cooler thread is a trial run of a easy to access casual chat which writes to an archive so that it is easily caught up on and nothing is lost. The intention for this chat is to create the lowest possible barrier to entry for users to participate and to encourage activity. If it is not used, is not used for the right reasons, or it in any way detracts from other conversations on the forums – it will be removed. A bot user will periodically check-in to suggest content waiting for replies.
- New referral functionality and scoreboard
- All users can now enjoy profile posts on their own and others profiles, a feature previously limited to gold members
- All users can now take advantage of enhanced profile customisation including a cover banner and custom tab
- New secret trophies 🤫
- Webwide logo updated
- Primary blue updated
- Various typography and iconography improvements
- New welcome section for guests
- Dark theme improvements
- Gold upgrade page improved
- Footer improvements
- Fixed pull to refresh sometimes activating when scrolling up mobile sidebar
- Improved LiteSpeed cache integration for enhanced speed for visitors
- The 'Sponsored Listings' trial has ended and been removed
- Improved onboarding and pacing of notices
- Minor PWA improvements
- 203 new users
- 504 new posts
- 115 new threads
November's Most Replied & Viewed Thread
A big extra thank you to all of our Gold subscribers this month:
@VickiLanger, @fbnlsr, @xtbhyn, @tom, @Eoghan, @tobyx, @sfcgeorge, @m1guelpf, @Michael
Income from premium memberships remains the only source of income. This month approx. £17 after payment processor fees was raised. This covered our hosting costs of £12. There were some additional expenditure for 2 XenForo add-ons totalling around £15.
If you've got too much cash weighing down your wallet and you feel like £1.49 is just too good value for your membership. You can "Buy me a (figurative) coffee" with a message saying it's for Webwide to donate to the platform.
3 accounts banned for spam. No other warnings!
Of course a quieter month this month which was to be expected. I am certainly not discouraged. I have been quietly working on QoL improvements on the forum ready for a bit of a marketing push over the next couple of weeks. Details follow.
Coming Up This Month
- The first Webwide Digest goes out on Friday to all users opted in for update emails. Users will be given the option to opt-in to either fortnightly or monthly Webwide Digest emails containing hand-picked top posts from that period. I expect this will be a nice boost keeping interested but distracted users in touch with the community.
- This weekend, Webwide Perks is launching. I have been arranging deals and coupons for relevant products and services exclusively for our Webwide members. Mostly, this is just a way of saying thanks for being here. Some vendors offer affiliate schemes which could also offer a small additional revenue stream in order to fund the platform but this was not the aim of the project.
- The Webwide Blog launches sometime this month. A notice will be going out soon to hopefully collect some articles for launch. I intend for this to be an open source collaborative project so you will hear more on that very soon!
- A referral drive featuring real prizes to celebrate the holidays.