Webdev has changed, Dad :(

Webdev has changed, Dad :(

ek1

Local time
05:51
Pronouns
She/her

My Dad spent an afternoon teaching me HTML when I was 12 and changed the course of my life forever. I mean, he taught me a lot of things that didn't end up sticking (seems I've forgotten everything I was taught about cars except for how an alternator works), but growing up with computers in the house and a parent that worked in tech was huge. More recently, he's been a great resource as he's been an entrepreneur/freelancer since he was younger than I am now, and has had great advice.

We talk on the phone every few weeks and he'll ask me what I've been up to, what I've been building, etc, and I'll tell him, and recently he mentioned that he's been feeling kind of burned out on anything tech related, that everything is moving too fast, that every time we talk there's a new acronym he's never heard of. Then yesterday he mentioned he needs a website for his youtube channel which is taking off (he makes 4x my rent per month on patreon, and he's only been doing it for a year) ...and asked what the newest best layout tool was, he's heard something about CSS floats?

So I told him all the virtues of CSS grid and a note about flexbox and made a quick codepen so he could see how it worked etc, and then said I'd do something pro bono for him as a portfolio piece if he felt his time was better suited spent elsewhere, and he said thanks but no, he should do it himself so he can update it. And I'm going to let him do that. I'll take a look when he's done and carefully point out anything disastrous I see but yeah. At the end of the day his DIY spirit which he taught to me is going to probably cost him money. I'm just sad about it is all.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
09:51
Pronouns
he/him

Hey,

at first congratulations to have such a great dad/family!
Possibly one thing to help him don't burn out: everything evolves fast(er) in tech - BUT military software still runs on Windows 95/98 machines. 😉 Same for important NASA and so on.
What I try to say is that only the fast pacing business trees of IT evolve this fast. And much more important: software development isn't about choosing the current most hyped tools and know them all. Much more important are the skills only time and passion can bring - learnings from all the bugs seen and produced over time. And if you use jQuery or Vue.js is only a very small & unimportant part - the important decision behind it is if you know it (can effort the learning phase) and how good/fast you can develop using it. Frameworks are a tool to help and nothing more.

I mean just check out Matt Stauffer, Freek Van der Herten or one of the other leading developers. The don't run behind everything. What makes them awesome/leading developers is the experience how to structure code, what's worth to discuss about and when it's simply only a discussion of personal preferences without any (dis) advantages for the app/code. And exactly this is what it seems he teaches you and others (?) which is much more important than the choice between bootstrap, foundation, tailwind or even vanilla CSS.

And for you: I don't know anything about your relationship but could it be that he's also a bit shy (I don't know the better matching word) to ask his daughter to help him with his job? 🤔
I would offer him to help when he wants/need it.

leafygreens

Local time
19:51

I fink you're brave and great, Erin. You can always just let him know you're available if he has any questions. That way he's doing it all by himself, just with access to a skilled consultant, and he'll claw back a bit of ground from that overwhelm zone.

27leaves

Local time
09:51

To be honest... I'm in my early 30s now and also overwhelmed by all those wonderful and exciting things. If you're looking at the JavaScript environment alone - every few months a new framework, new data handling/structuring library, new best practice, new package manager, new bundler, testing suite, new whatever. It is really a big thing and I'm not sure how long I want to be part of this. It's probably also a burden of my personality - I'm very attracted to new frameworks and tools. But it's not always good to spend too much time on it.

I think it's cool that your dad wants to do it by himself. And other than that, I fully support what @leafygreens said ;)

ek1

Local time
05:51
Pronouns
She/her

Thanks everyone. Was mostly just having a moment, it's fine :P I haven't heard from him so I assume he figured it out!