Web Development on Mobile

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
21:41
Pronouns
She/Her

I was curious to see what people around here thought of developing on a phone - like, having an entire coding workspace, right on your mobile device.

This seems like an interesting prospect, but not too sure what I think of it - it would be neat, but not practical? Or not... something.

Here's a post that gives a good general overview of it written by Dev user ArekNawo:

Would love to hear your thoughts!

LividJay

Local time

I can't even fathom trying to efficiently write code on a mobile device...despite how big the screens are these days. I can barely get texting right sometimes due to fat thumbs...and would autocucumber come into play here? Can you imagine?

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
02:41
Pronouns
he/him

I keep an SSH app on my phone for the very occasional ‘emergency’ fix or edit. I can’t imagine actually building anything on mobile! I’m with @LividJay, I can hardly type a text without a missed steak.

LividJay

Local time

I keep an SSH app on my phone for the very occasional ‘emergency’ fix or edit. I can’t imagine actually building anything on mobile! I’m with @LividJay, I can hardly type a text without a missed steak.
Yeah, I could definitely see it being useful for quickies like that. Particularly if you're trying to make an edit to a Function in Azure, for example.

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

This is the only way I could see it being useful - could you imagine trying to build an entire site/app on your phone?! It would be soooo frustrating.

James

A Verified Legend
Gold Member
Local time

I really cannot think about even considering this. It feels similar to completely ditching a PC for a tablet. I just don’t think it would ever be viable sadly.

Last edited:

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

I really cannot think about even considering this. It feels similar to completely ditching a PC for a tablet. I just don’t think it would ever be viable sadly.

I've got a setup with my really horrible tablet where I can code my Pixel Creatures (basically, lots of box-shadow) but even that is annoying and I only do it so I can work on my breaks at work! As aforementioned, for a quick fix I could see it being handy, but actually coding on a phone? Probably a pass.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I've got a setup with my really horrible tablet where I can code my Pixel Creatures (basically, lots of box-shadow) but even that is annoying and I only do it so I can work on my breaks at work! As aforementioned, for a quick fix I could see it being handy, but actually coding on a phone? Probably a pass.
Do you use a physical keyboard?

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

I can’t imagine coding a whole project on a phone! Kudos to anyone who does. I think @Dalton Edwards has done it.

I think it might be more realistic to do it on some sort of tablet, but still I would have crazy err roots.

Err roots aside, I think it could change the barriers to entry. Not everyone has access to a computer. Not everyone can invest much before knowing if it’s worth it to them. So, I think this could be practical, but not likely to become an industry standard

Mangini

MD developer
Local time

I can barely be bothered to do actual testing on my dummy smartphone let alone entire website development! Although, having FTP on my phone would have been nice on the day waaay back in high school when I broke my WordPress site while goofing off in my first class (didn't get home until many hours later... talk about anxiety!).

JacobHegwood

Local time
20:41

BUT THERE IS A WAY... Most smartphones these days support connections to external displays via USB-C to HDMI, wireless, or even lightning connectors to HDMI I believe. Bluetooth a keyboard and mouse and you're good to go 😂. Use code sandbox for your IDE.

I believe Samsung Galaxy s8 and up would be the best option since they have built out features for use with external displays extensively, so yes technically you could "comfortably" build a website on your phone! What a world we live in...

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
She/Her

BUT THERE IS A WAY... Most smartphones these days support connections to external displays via USB-C to HDMI, wireless, or even lightning connectors to HDMI I believe. Bluetooth a keyboard and mouse and you're good to go 😂. Use code sandbox for your IDE.

I believe Samsung Galaxy s8 and up would be the best option since they have built out features for use with external displays extensively, so yes technically you could "comfortably" build a website on your phone! What a world we live in...

I do that kinda thing with my tablet and I still have a hard time believing I could do it on a phone! Though technically, you're totally right, and this world is crazy.