Wayback Machine used to show site properly, now it only shows source code

Wayback Machine used to show site properly, now it only shows source code

Talia

Local time
12:35

I am experiencing a weird phenomenon where a page that's archived in the Wayback Machine used to correctly show the actual page, but now it just shows the source code. It's worth noting that the page in question is PHP. Viewing a copy from a different date doesn't seem to help. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
18:35
Pronouns
he/him

Hi Talia! Are you able to share the link with us so we can check out ourselves?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
19:35
Pronouns
he/him

Do you mean the PHP source code or the HTML delivered by PHP?
A link where you experience the error would help.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

That's really weird! I've tried doing some digging but coming up blank. 😕 WBM has obviously identified it as a webpage rather than just a text file as it has injected all its JS and whatnot. A bug worth reporting to them directly perhaps?

Last edited:

Talia

Local time

I contacted the Internet Archive, now just going to wait and see I guess.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Hope they find a fix! In the meantime, if you are really keen to see the webpage, just copying that HTML in to a local file and opening in a webbrowser might do the trick?

Last edited:

Talia

Local time

Hope they find a fix! In the meantime, if you are really keen to see the webpage, just copying that HTML in to a local file and opening in a webbrowser might do the trick?
I would just do that, but it's kind of an unusual situation. I'm actually not the one who wants to look at this site, it's a client of the company I work for who does, and she'd want to not just look at one page of the site, but all of it. I could theoretically try to reconstruct the whole site, but it doesn't seem practical.

I appreciate the help and replies, though!