Unpractical Ideas Thread

Unpractical Ideas Thread

avena

Local time
12:02

Have you ever build something that turns out to be very unpractical/non-intuitive either by mistake or just for fun?

Me: Two years ago I made this very unpractical game called Synchrony just for fun. I learned a lot while making it. I knew the game was simply too hard to play (well, incredible hard) and it doesn't really feel like a game but instead more like an assessment, but I decided to publish it anyway! It is fun to see friends or family struggling while trying to complete the levels. 😅

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
18:02
Pronouns
he/him

This is the perfect game for my girlfriend to get her into rage/beast mode 😍 This is awesome!
I've only seen the screenshots and have to say: this game is impossible! 😅
The one who wins it is two persons in reality. 😂

But great idea, simple but understandable UI and a great landing page!

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

An idea that's still OSS available was a web UI administration app for Arma 3 Altos Life game mod.
The unpractical was primary based in the inability of the A3AL devs to stick to common standards. They reinvented array serialization that was kind of JSON but different. 😅
And every A3AL instance had a different DB structure depending on the likes of the dev who set it up. So I had to adjust the models every time.
There was a plan for configurable model attribute mappings and auto UI generation by attribute type and so on. But I've stopped playing it and sticked to the most common and basic rule: solve your own problems not the others ones.
So it's a dead repo until now:

avena

Local time
12:02

And every A3AL instance had a different DB structure depending on the likes of the dev who set it up. So I had to adjust the models every time.
Oh yeah, that's probably not easy to maintain.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Oh yeah, that's probably not easy to maintain.
Yeah, it was super frustrating. That's one reason why I stopped maintaining it and redirect to the paid SaaS offenes out there.^^