VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
21:58
Pronouns
she/her

Hi 👋🏻

Two weeks ago I had an idea and did a little customer development, via a twitter poll. Most of the feedback was positive. So, I made a Twitter bot that tweets code-related questions 4 times a day.

The goal is for coders to have fun & meet other devs while learning and helping each other learn.

I built it with Python and Tweepy. I learned a few things that were new to me. My biggest thing was figuring out how to access an object that was returned from the api call. I’d never dealt with that before and turns out it wasn’t so hard.

Anyway, if your interested, I’d love it if you’d check it out. Here’s a link to Code Question bot

Upvote 1

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
02:58
Pronouns
he/him

Hi 👋🏻

Two weeks ago I had an idea and did a little customer development, via a twitter poll. Most of the feedback was positive. So, I made a Twitter bot that tweets code-related questions 4 times a day.

The goal is for coders to have fun & meet other devs while learning and helping each other learn.

I built it with Python and Tweepy. I learned a few things that were new to me. My biggest thing was figuring out how to access an object that was returned from the api call. I’d never dealt with that before and turns out it wasn’t so hard.

Anyway, if your interested, I’d love it if you’d check it out. Here’s a link to Code Question bot

Awesome work Vicki! I wonder if you could take this to the next level by:

Having some ‘ranked’ questions with fixed answers that your bot can detect. When the question has expired (so as not to give away the answer in the thread) your bot replies to people telling them wrong/correct and adds points for correct answers to a database where you can publish a leaderboard on a little SPA? 😄 I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that done before and would really set it apart.

Not worked with Twitter API before though that might not even be possible.

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Awesome work Vicki! I wonder if you could take this to the next level by:

Having some ‘ranked’ questions with fixed answers that your bot can detect. When the question has expired (so as not to give away the answer in the thread) your bot replies to people telling them wrong/correct and adds points for correct answers to a database where you can publish a leaderboard on a little SPA? 😄 I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that done before and would really set it apart.

Not worked with Twitter API before though that might not even be possible.

Ohhhhh yes! Having points was part of my initial idea. Then I decided I really wanted the bot to foster conversation.

I like your idea to have questions with fixed answers and using the bot to respond to tell people if they were correct or wrong. I think I will do that.

What do you mean by ranked?

I don’t think I’ll do points. I want newbies to come in and feel like they have a chance.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
02:58
Pronouns
he/him

I just figured the points would be a fun way to encourage people to continue participating. Perhaps instead of a leaderboard which would be a bit competitive, your bot could simply include it in the end of the replies.

Congratulations, that's correct! You've correctly answered $number questions so far. Great work!
Or something like that. 😋

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

I just figured the points would be a fun way to encourage people to continue participating. Perhaps instead of a leaderboard which would be a bit competitive, your bot could simply include it in the end of the replies.

Or something like that. 😋

😄 Ooo, I like that. Kinda like a streak, but not a streak. I little bit of gamification but without the leaderboard style. I think I can do that. Now to learn what I need to learn about database stuff.