Travel website caught generating fake demand notices CLIENTSIDE

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
21:44
Pronouns
he/him

This Twitter thread cracked me up. Some big players recently got told off for similar behaviour to this by the UK regulators. I am surprised this doesn’t seem to be illegal EU-wide or if it is that they’re getting away with it.

I think I read somewhere that this was flat-out illegal in Germany. It’s not just travel sites though, many e-commerce websites seem to be using similar dark patterns and I have seen extensions for Shopify and WordPress that make these up at totally random.

What do you make of this kind of behaviour?

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
22:44
Pronouns
he/him

Not just in germany - this is illegal in a lot of countries.
But I don't let me stress. I buy when I buy and not when the sites want me to buy.^^

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
21:44
Pronouns
he/him

Not just in germany - this is illegal in a lot of countries.
But I don't let me stress. I buy when I buy and not when the sites want me to buy.^^
So do you see pop ups like this at all on travel websites? I see them all the time on Booking.com etc. but not sure if those are real or not and if they are real does that make them legal? Not sure!

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

Yes, they are on almost any of the booking sites nowadays. I haven't really found any of the big players not doing it.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

So do you see pop ups like this at all on travel websites? I see them all the time on Booking.com etc. but not sure if those are real or not and if they are real does that make them legal? Not sure!
Yes they are everywhere. It's bad practice if they are real and illegal if they are faked.