ToDo lists

ToDo lists

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
02:20
Pronouns
he/him

I'm alone at home the last days and do nearly nothing (except the daily tasks - cat litter, feed pets, grocery shopping, cook, eat ...).
Today I already have the feeling that I have to do something. And it isn't that I haven't any tasks on my to-do list - finish wedding film, finish Stancy, handle some open source issues/PRs ...

But it feels also great to do nothing except cuddling with the dog, watch series and play videogames.

And right now I've read a very important sentence that also whipped my bad feelings away.

DE:

Deine To-do-Liste fließt eigentlich schon längst über? Deine To-Do-Liste wird aber niemals fertig sein da wir nicht ankommen können. Du wirst immere etwas zutun haben.

EN:
Your to-do list flows over? Your to-do list will never get finished because we won't arrive. You will have something to do for ever.

I don't write long time to-do lists because of this. How do you manage your open tasks?

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:20
Pronouns
he/him

I have to say I like a list. You’re totally right though that unless you’re doing lists for today only then clearing it is an impossible task!

The Todoist app has a nice function where each item has a due date and you can have a week view where you put items for each day in this list so it functions a bit more like a planner than a never ending list. I find this is better for me as when the stuff is ticked off for today only that’s work over rather than the feeling there is always more to do.

ek1

Local time
21:20
Pronouns
She/her

I have to try this todoist app, that sounds like exactly what I need!

I go through phases with calendars/journals/lists, some phases are more effective than others. I use a bullet journal - if you can make it a habit it'll change your life. Don't worry about making it beautiful, about washi tape and spreads etc, **** that, it is at heart a really effective organization tool. And if you make the boxes small enough you only have room for a few items per day :)

I also find that if I'm on top of things and I know exactly what my week looks like, I'm more likely to take on MORE work because I can clearly see where I can fit it in...which makes me more productive, but I've found that if I have too many 16-hour days in a row I'll crash really hard. Not physically so much as emotionally, I'll just get really really sad for a couple of days for no reason.

Related - I've been using Daylio to track my moods, which you can then sort by which activities you've logged. It's been really helpful for me for various other things (looks like if I'm sad I try to make myself feel better by cleaning but it doesn't work) but also has been interesting to compare my moods and productivity with other stuff in my life - for example, I discovered I tend to forget to eat when I'm working ("working" and "hungry" were frequently together).

fabulousrice

Local time
17:20

I love lists because of the open question "attainable goal, or unattainable goal" that they open. Making very ambitious lists is really important - even if it takes years for the scope of the project to soak in and for the courage to accomplish it to come. One day you just do it because the list it belongs to inside you never dies.