To blog or not to blog...

To blog or not to blog...

CoryRunn

Local time
19:59

As a self proclaimed "Web Dev Student", I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog. I am NOT a writer but thought that blogging could be therapeutic.

At the same time I'm worried that adding another task to my to-do list isn't a great idea. Between working full-time, two young children at home, and studying in the evenings, is it wise to dedicate time to a blog??

Do you have any positive or negative reactions to blogging?

LividJay

Local time
20:59

Back when I owned a programming forum, it had a section for technical blogs that I would post lessons learned or talk about new techniques and the like. For me, I did it only when something came up and I had time to write about it. I would suggest the same for you so that you don't feel obligated. Just do it when you have the itch to write about something as it happened.

Whatever you do, avoid the filler crap that you see on a bunch of recipe blogs. I don't know why they feel the need to go on and on about random stuff when the only reason someone's visiting the site is to get the recipe. So basically, just stay on topic.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:59
Pronouns
he/him

I think blogging is great, even if nobody ever reads it (though I’m sure they will!). I have so many draft posts I never even published but it’s nice to look back and see things I’ve learned or sometimes even how my viewpoints have changed over time.

A forum like this can also be a great middle ground between tweeting and blogging.

Last edited:

CoryRunn

Local time

Good point @Adam I could probably start by actually utilizing the social platforms I'm already a member of lol.

Lloople

Local time
02:59

I started a blog a few years ago but now I'm struggling hard to write something on.

I recommend you to create your own blog, your own platform instead of Medium or other services.

Also, write whatever you want and whenever you want. Sometimes I use mine to save tips I like for future me👍

CoryRunn

Local time

So I decided to join the #100daysofcode on Twitter. That way each day I can track what I'm doing and have a "record" of my progress. Plus, each time I use the above hash tag on Twitter, bots retweet my post. Sounds like a good way to build my network of fellow Devs🙃.

Feel free to follow along at www.twitter.com/CoryRunn

Lloople

Local time

Sounds great! I never tried to do that challenge, it looks quite hard to me since I'm not each day in front of a computer or having ideas to write some code 😅

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I'm a newbie to development, so I have plenty to learn/code 🤓
Newbies are the best. Because they hit issues seniors most times don't. Like copy'n'paste an outdated example in the docs. Or strictly follow a step by step guide which skipped one step because the author thought that it's clear.
So you primary could let benefit others by reporting your issues.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Newbies are the best. Because they hit issues seniors most times don't. Like copy'n'paste an outdated example in the docs. Or strictly follow a step by step guide which skipped one step because the author thought that it's clear.
So you primary could let benefit others by reporting your issues.
Great point I not thought of before! This is very true.

I also find it fascinating what people learn as a priority now! I can’t imagine diving right in to the ‘hardcore’ programming using frameworks and build tools right away.

I had a very different entry in to the web world tinkering with Dreamweaver and other site builders from around 2005 (age 10!) and slowly building knowledge up as I needed it without any real structure. It’s left me with quite a mixture now and very much jack of all trades master of none but it works well for my generalist freelancing!

Look forward to reading about your experiences Cory!

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yay! Added to my RSS reader. Nice one Cory! Hoping to get back in to more regular blogging myself soon. Good choice with WordPress.com and easy to migrate to self hosted if you take a liking to it and want more dev power.

sfcgeorge

Sonic the developer
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
He/Him

Ooh RSS. I got back into RSS a few months ago

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

What you using? I am quite liking Feedly. I feel like it's making a bit of a resurgence. I'm still bitter about Google Reader.

Last edited:

jarod_peachey

Local time
20:59

As a self proclaimed "Web Dev Student", I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog. I am NOT a writer but thought that blogging could be therapeutic.

At the same time I'm worried that adding another task to my to-do list isn't a great idea. Between working full-time, two young children at home, and studying in the evenings, is it wise to dedicate time to a blog??

Do you have any positive or negative reactions to blogging?

I think blogging definitely helps me relax (if I don't view it as an absolute necessity). I started a blog, and don't post that often, but I write a post every week or so, for fun.

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
21:59
Pronouns
She/Her

Looking forward to keeping up with your blog Cory! It can be such a fun experience when you get into it.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I got back into it as developer. Generating RSS feeds from foreign pages is my current topic. So adding RSS watch ability to pages without their own RSS Feed.