Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Tips for self-taught (uneducated) devs looking for salaried jobs?

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 05:52
Website
erinknowles.com
Credits
Pronouns
She/her
I just finished my resume and I didn't even bother with an education section because all I have is 2/5 of an arts degree.

I had talked with admissions of a good school in my city last year about doing a CS degree there but the whole thing was so gross I couldn't go through with it. They're really just taking your money and your dreams and churning you out. It was when they insisted I wouldn't be able to complete the degree without at least 4 electives - electives I'd have to pay for - that I walked out.

But I'm realizing that if the hiring manager is only going to spend 30 seconds on your resume, having one line that 'proves' I know what I'm doing is a lot easier for them than going through my website and my github and my client testimonials etc.

I am going to complete CS50 with the certificate so I can put that on at least. I'm also going to talk to the comp sci department specifically, to see if we can work something out. I JUST paid off my student loans from art school and I'm not super keen to go back into debt.

Any other ideas? Am I bumming myself out over nothing? Is one good project worth as much to my resume as an education?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:52
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
I have no idea how it's in your country/region/city. But in general degrees don't prove anything. Most tech HR know this. The real life experience is important.
And to prove them having a working project or a public GitHub profile with contributions proves a lot more than a school degree.
I would always choose the one with open source contributions over one with a school degree only.

Coding isn't about theoretical knowledge. It's about real project experience - how to work with shitty code, how to choose the right tools and why hyped doesn't have to be right, how to keep a project running longer than the hypetrain and so on.

And there's a ton of these super small but important things no one can teach you or would need months/years to do - primary because a lot of things are subjective.

And a proper set of soft skills is much more important!

• Love
Reactions: Adam and ek1

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
And as addition two women in tech accounts who could help you.

Emma Bostian 🐞

Samantha Geitz

And also a man I really honor/respect who could have some advice for you is Matt Stauffer Matt Stauffer (@stauffermatt) on Twitter .

I hope you will find something!

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Gold Member
Community Team
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.stickerrun.com
Credits
And as addition two women in tech accounts who could help you.

Emma Bostian 🐞

Samantha Geitz
I'd add two more:

Sara Vieira

Sarah Drasner

Also have a look at Vue Vixens if you didn't know them already: Vue Vixens - Workshops for Foxy People to Learn Vue.js

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 05:52
Website
erinknowles.com
Credits
Pronouns
She/her
@Gummibeer thanks for your advice! Was just a little freaked out by advice I kept seeing for resume writing to "keep it short and concise because they'll only look at it for 30 seconds" and by job postings requiring a degree. Since thinking on it and reading your reply and others online I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want to work somewhere that wasn't willing to ensure it had good talent anyway.

Also thanks all for the great femme inspiration! Was going to make a post specifically asking for this sort of thing so this is fantastic. Emma Bostian is part of LadyBugs which is a favorite of mine but I'd never heard of the rest.
Just confused about how a thread looking for resume advice turned into a list of inspirational femme devs?

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
@Gummibeer thanks for your advice! Was just a little freaked out by advice I kept seeing for resume writing to "keep it short and concise because they'll only look at it for 30 seconds" and by job postings requiring a degree. Since thinking on it and reading your reply and others online I've come to the conclusion I wouldn't want to work somewhere that wasn't willing to ensure it had good talent anyway.

Also thanks all for the great femme inspiration! Was going to make a post specifically asking for this sort of thing so this is fantastic. Emma Bostian is part of LadyBugs which is a favorite of mine but I'd never heard of the rest.
Just confused about how a thread looking for resume advice turned into a list of inspirational femme devs?
No problem. And yes, for sure there are HRs not even checking your profile for 30sec. But they don't filter too much but too few/less. And yes, I wouldn't want to work somewhere only checking degrees either. And since I'm in OS I haven't wrote a single resume/CV or anything. Who wants more than my GH profile and what's on my website isn't the boss I want. And exactly that's what I write recruiters. I'm a developer in a web business - why should I do something else!? 😉

And related to these profiles: it's hard, as a man, to give advice for a job seeking women. Even if there are more and more it's still a thing that womens are discriminated. 😔
So my idea was to give you some others to ask via DM for advice. Possibly they know a company or can tell you something about their experiences.

• Love
Reactions: Adam and ek1

emmzee

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 04:52
Website
darrenhewer.com
Credits
Pronouns
He / Him
In the beginning, it may be easiest to go through recruiters. You probably won't get a salaried gig right away, but they'll likely be able to get you something to get started, and that can lead into something else.

My first contract through a recruiter was a 2-week contract gig, then my next was 3 months, then 6 months, then a year and a half, and now for the last 3 years I've been full-time salaried. Try to parlay each smaller opportunity into something bigger.

Reactions: Gummibeer

remote.io

Reaction score
Website
www.remote.io
Credits
I just finished my resume and I didn't even bother with an education section because all I have is 2/5 of an arts degree.
Formal education doesn't matter as much as most people think. I personally have sent out my resume with college excluded completely and received 6 figure + equity offers from publicly-traded companies.

Any other ideas? Am I bumming myself out over nothing? Is one good project worth as much to my resume as an education?
You'll want to detail all languages or projects that you've worked with. Even if they aren't live projects, explain what the project was (or was intended to be), why it was necessary, and what problem it solved.

Your resume is essentially a sell sheet. You're selling that you're capable of completing tasks and critical thinking, not that you're a trained monkey that can repeat tasks 1-5.

You will want to include as many technologies as possible that you are at least familiar with. It's fine to just have a comma separated list, but you need them to pass the applicant tracking system screening before your resume will even be viewed.

Apply to as many jobs that seem interesting as you like. Even if you decide not to take their offer, the interviews will help you become more confident and know what to expect. It's likely going to be a lot of random questions to see how you think, talk about your knowledge, and see how willing you are to learn new things.

If you're looking for remote careers, check out my site, www.remote.io. It's mostly development oriented jobs and interviews will be video chats and phone calls.

Last edited: