TIL the 'Red Cross' emblem (a red cross on a white background) is protected by international law

TIL the 'Red Cross' emblem (a red cross on a white background) is protected by international law

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
07:34
Pronouns
he/him

An Australian TV panel show has been forced to scrap its brand new logo after inadvertently (we assume) breaching international humanitarian law protecting the Red Cross emblem.

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 22.53.12.png
Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 22.53.18.png

This emblem means 'don't shoot' in times of war, and is protected to avoid diminishing its power and meaning.
Of course there may be copyright restrictions (or maybe not since it is 'just' a symbol) but this is more than that, I thought this was interesting. This differently proportioned '+' sign over some white lettering was enough to be taken down by the Red Cross Australia.

A warning to all to steer well clear of any red crosses in branding! 😄🏥

Last edited:

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Local time
04:34
Pronouns
She/Her

The more you know...

It makes sense, but wow. I'd never mistake the two logos, but I can see how it would breach copyright. Crazy.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
08:34
Pronouns
he/him

In this case I 💯% agree. And after all the red + in logos is very connected to medicine than the "and" meaning. So switching the + with a & would be even better for the TV channel.

The copyright restriction is much better and easier to handle than getting sued in Den Haag for misusing an international and respected humanitarian sign.