The Question Game

The Question Game

jarod_peachey

Local time
14:16

Yeah, sucky game title. I know.

But it's the best I could come up with, so deal with it.

Here we go.

I decided to start this game/thread so the community can get to know each other better. Here's how to play:

1. Ask a question that everyone will be able to answer (eg When did you start coding/designing?)
2. Go through the chat and answer 2 other questions
3. And just get to know each other!

I'll start: What is your favorite piece of web-related advice you've ever received?

ek1

Local time
15:16
Pronouns
She/her

Ooo I like this idea! Tbh I know a lot of people hate them but I love icebreakers at meetings etc. People are neat!

What is your favorite piece of web-related advice you've ever received?

I'm drawing a blank! I've received some great general advice that I then APPLIED to web stuff, but unfortunately no web-specific advice that I can think of. I should go to more Meetups. Anyway the most useful general advice I've received that I then applied to webdev is that in order to grow or learn something, you almost always have to step outside of your comfort zone, and experience being BAD at something, and that's going to feel gross. You need to learn how to be okay with that feeling. You have to keep going back, keep being willing to tell people that were counting on you "sorry, I made a mistake, and I don't know how to fix it - but I'll google it", keep occasionally feeling stupid and useless, until one day you figure out something you're really proud of, and one day after that, you'll realize you haven't made a major blunder in a while.

How about you?

My question is: what's the most recent time you laughed out loud, and why?

mpigsley

Local time
13:16

Sounds fun!

What is your favorite piece of web-related advice you've ever received?

After college I was really into the idea of a startup. Building an MVP, getting some initial users, and monetizing it straight from the go. I struggled with a few concepts that revolved completely about monetization. I can't remember exactly who it was at the time, but they said something to the effect of...
Develop something your passionate about. Figure out how to build a community around it, and then work in a way to pay your bills if and when it takes off."

That concept really stuck with me even though it was an off-hand remark at the time. I've had a lot of success exploiting my passions since then.

With that in mind, my question is, simply...
What are you most passionate about?

Dominic

Local time
20:16

I get passionate a lot, so it's hard to say what I am most passionate about. Probably my not-yet-existing absurd company. I have a product, a name, professional pictures and a lot of ideas. The idea is with me since years and I use it for this and that. It moves slowly but I don't care about that.

Question: For what project/person/company would you love to make a website?

Last edited:

jarod_peachey

Local time

Sounds fun!

After college I was really into the idea of a startup. Building an MVP, getting some initial users, and monetizing it straight from the go. I struggled with a few concepts that revolved completely about monetization. I can't remember exactly who it was at the time, but they said something to the effect of...

That concept really stuck with me even though it was an off-hand remark at the time. I've had a lot of success exploiting my passions since then.

With that in mind, my question is, simply...

Awesome! It's always great advice to live by your passions. As for my greatest passion, I would probably say it's creating stuff for others to enjoy. I enjoy making guitar music, as well as websites, as both have benefits to others besides myself.

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Question: For what project/person/company would you love to make a website?

I really wanted information from this site, for a local butcher, and it is super not easy to traverse. I would like to make this easier for their customers. The necessary info is scattered across multiple pages and there are mysterious "an error occurred" buttons when you hover over some menu items.

Kind of generic sounding, but I really enjoy learning, solving problems, fixing processes, and setting people up for success. I never expected to enjoy programming. I was learning it as a means to build Statalog, but I'm actually enjoying it.

Question: What made you start designing, developing, and/or making?

jarod_peachey

Local time

Question: What made you start designing, developing, and/or making?

OK, so it was August, maybe September of last year, and my family was building a Wordpress site. Now, if you've ever used Wordpress, it's not exactly uber-customizable, expecially if you're a beginner (me and my family).

The theme we chose was pretty good, but I wanted to make some color adjustments and what not.

Cut to around 2 weeks later, countless hours, and countless "AWESOME CSS" plugins that kind of worked, I scraped together something that I could be semi-proud about. I ALSO decided that I would never again go through that. However, I enjoyed the design and development part of it. So I began learning code!

And here I am. Chatting on a forum instead of coding... 😅