Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

The 2020 Desktop Experience

Talia

Reaction score
Local Time
Yesterday, 18:40
Credits
While I see your point, I do think that the increasing width of desktop screens makes them hard to design for in some ways, especially considering long lines of text are not ideal for reading. Frankly I'm not sure how to fill in all that empty space.

Reactions: Adam and Gummibeer

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 01:40
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
While I see your point, I do think that the increasing width of desktop screens makes them hard to design for in some ways, especially considering long lines of text are not ideal for reading. Frankly I'm not sure how to fill in all that empty space.
I totally agree. Even my WQHD screen feels always empty - not talking about 4K, 6K or even 8K.
It's nearly impossible to properly do it if you don't want to read like a slide-cam. ↔
There's a reason why book formats haven't changed since centuries. I'm not sure if it was here or on Twitter but someone explained really well which "magic" numbers and ratios are part of book layouts and how different editors got to the same result without knowing each other and in even living in different decades.

The modern desktops aren't made for web or text. They are made to get along the getting better cameras and games. So showing the user what they have recorded, are about to edit or someone else put effort in.

But if you find a solution that works with these super large screens for web without limiting container size - I'm open! 🚀

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 00:40
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
I think there's definitely a happy middle somewhere. Those examples from social you've shown are designed to keep your eyes in one place just mindlessly scrolling I think.

My browser is almost always windowed at about 1400px. I think this is something Mac does a lot better, I feel like (ironically) smaller windows in Windows are less natural. Either full screen or snapped. I know it's possible to resize them but not sure why I find it more of a pain.

Reactions: Gummibeer

Mike Rees

Reaction score
Local Time
Credits
Heh, back when G+ left aligned its container and had a huge amount of whitespace between the content and the right menu, there was a trend (a meme?) of people taking photos of their monitor on G+ with a bottle of beer in front of it, because it was about all that pointless whitespace was good for.

I feel your pain, but at the end of the day I'm guilty of this too. I still go for a 960 grid when I'm forced into doing some design work.

Reactions: Talia

Talia

Reaction score
Local Time
Yesterday, 18:40
Credits
Heh, back when G+ left aligned its container and had a huge amount of whitespace between the content and the right menu, there was a trend (a meme?) of people taking photos of their monitor on G+ with a bottle of beer in front of it, because it was about all that pointless whitespace was good for.

I feel your pain, but at the end of the day I'm guilty of this too. I still go for a 960 grid when I'm forced into doing some design work.
Oh, left-aligned containers are the worst...always look bad on screens larger than what the site was designed for. Thankfully I don't think they're used much anymore.

avena

Reaction score
Website
alejandro.fun
Credits
I am thinking that maybe for twitter layout, one thing they could try is to display the different tweet categories in multiple columns instead of keeping it hidden with the tab bar (slow internet connections can worsen the experience though).

Type adjustments can be done for bigger screens too if needed, but I guess there are always constrains (you may end up increasing it too much and the readers will need to move back to have a better reading distance).

PD: LinkedIn's design is... argh.

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
I am thinking that maybe for twitter layout, one thing they could try is to display the different tweet categories in multiple columns instead of keeping it hidden with the tab bar (slow internet connections can worsen the experience though).

Type adjustments can be done for bigger screens too if needed, but I guess there are always constrains (you may end up increasing it too much and the readers will need to move back to have a better reading distance).

PD: LinkedIn's design is... argh.
They do do a version of Twitter like that! Have you tried TweetDeck? That is official Twitter app.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gummibeer and avena

avena

Reaction score
Website
alejandro.fun
Credits
Ohh I didn't knew that! thanks for sharing. I am using a normal screen and feels a bit too much, but it does seems useful to get an overall picture of everything. I like it :D

Last edited: