T-Mobile says it owns the exclusive rights to the colour Magenta

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
21:51
Pronouns
he/him

This story is crazy! Deutsche Telekom successfully got court action against an INSURANCE provider for using a 'similar' shade of Magenta to them.

Credit: Lemonade

I understand companies can trademark colours within their industries. Cadbury in the UK has their iconic purple in the confectionary industry for example.

This case seems like a huge overstep of that and according to the article it is not a one off.

What do you make of this? Do you think about trademarked colours when designing?

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
22:51
Pronouns
he/him

It's an old story. Telekom did this several times already and every time with success.
1995: Telekom protected magenta color
2003: Urteil der Bundesgerichtshofs: Nur Telekom darf in Magenta werben
2008: Telekom okkupiert mal wieder Magenta

It's like Apple sueing nearly everyone with an iXyz productname or an apple as logo or everything that's somehow similar.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
21:51
Pronouns
he/him

It's an old story. Telekom did this several times already and every time with success.
1995: Telekom protected magenta color
2003: Urteil der Bundesgerichtshofs: Nur Telekom darf in Magenta werben
2008: Telekom okkupiert mal wieder Magenta

It's like Apple sueing nearly everyone with an iXyz productname or an apple as logo or everything that's somehow similar.

Madness! Their trademark should apply to mobile carriers only (if at all). I think that would be the case in most other countries.

DT aren’t even using the specific colour they trademarked on their homepage so you would think that would invalidate it since a trademark has to be in use. Also the other colours pink and purple DT said no to were nothing like their original.

No Magenta for you then @Gummibeer. 😋

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Madness! Their trademark should apply to mobile carriers only (if at all). I think that would be the case in most other countries.

DT aren’t even using the specific colour they trademarked on their homepage so you would think that would invalidate it since a trademark has to be in use. Also the other colours pink and purple DT said no to were nothing like their original.

No Magenta for you then @Gummibeer. 😋

No problem for me. But @tom should run for cover/lawyer. 😅

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

💡 Side project Idea 💡
Colour picker browser plugin with patent lookup 🤔
Simple, just use a random picker out of: Apple and Deutsche Telekom. 😅😂🤣
Anyone of those will sue you for anything.^^

ZillieZephyr

Local time
15:51

My mind blew when I learned that Apple tried to patent rectangles with rounded corners!
Was that about Squircles? That makes literally no sense because it's supposed to a generic container.
You can't copyright something that's intended to be generic in nature.

Then again, there is little thing called H&R Block. So there are some ways to get a generic shape to claimed.

xtbhyn

💻 🎨 🖊️ 📚 🌱 🍔
Gold Member
Local time
02:21

Was that about Squircles? That makes literally no sense because it's supposed to a generic container.
You can't copyright something that's intended to be generic in nature.

Then again, there is little thing called H&R Block. So there are some ways to get a generic shape to claimed.

They patented "rectangle with rounded corners" for their devices 😁 As far as I can remember, Apple royally sued Samsung on this issue. However, I strongly believe this patent is only restricted to the shape of digital devices. Domino's probably won't get sued if they launch a pizza of that shape.. but hey, you never know!

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
16:51
Pronouns
she/her

That is some crazy bs. They should only be able to claim the color their using. Also, how are they trademarked on a color they definitely don’t use!? All those other colors should be fair game.

I could understand if Lemonade was a phone provider, but they’re not even in the same industry. Lemonade should only have to pay attention to other insurance companies if that’s what they are.

ZillieZephyr

Local time
15:51

Meanwhile Milton Glaser makes zero dollars off of his I Heart NY design, and Piotr Młodożeniec gets his Coexist design taken completely out of context (and also makes zero dollars off it).

I just love how corporations stress about the small stuff, but an individual artist can barely protect themselves.

robcsaszar

Gold Member
Local time
23:51
Pronouns
he

Oh, now I just have to include the color magenta somewhere on my site out of pure spite. 😅
I think their lawyers are getting bored and just searched for "pink websites" on Google.

fabulousrice

Local time
13:51

Meanwhile Milton Glaser makes zero dollars off of his I Heart NY design, and Piotr Młodożeniec gets his Coexist design taken completely out of context (and also makes zero dollars off it).

I just love how corporations stress about the small stuff, but an individual artist can barely protect themselves.

You're raising an excellent point. I believe a lot of unsung artists would be trillionnaires if they spent 50% of their time researching / suing others for stealing their ideas/art/etc.
It's just so vile and aggressive to actually do it and go after someone for stealing your stuff, that most artists would never do it.
However, if they're Davids attacking Goliaths, they probably should, since as we're seeing here, Goliaths never hesitate.
The world works in such ways; a powerful CEO only has to ask his legal team to "see if we can sue them for a few million" and they'll do it, whereas an artist living modestly in the countryside with a couple of chickens can get their art stolen and reproduced without permission and they'd never know what to do about it - or might not even be able to afford a lawyer at all...
Trivia: "Magenta took its name from an aniline dye made and patented in 1859 by the French chemist François-Emmanuel Verguin" - wait, maybe it's time for the French to sue anyone for using it! Where's Verguin's patent?