Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

🍃 Sustainable hosting

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 23:24
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski

I've already checked the three big players and it seems like Google is the most sustainable - since years. They have already reached what the others still have on their timeline.

But do you know any other? Should an energy/sustainability/carbon report become mandatory for digital companies and primary hosting companies? Primary the smaller one give no information what type of energy they use, what kind of cooling system they use and so on.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 22:24
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
My favourite host Krystal are run from Netwise House in London which is powered by 100% renewable energy (unlike many ‘green’ ones which just carbon offset).

Full specs on cooling etc:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gummibeer

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 22:24
Credits
Pronouns
he/him

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
My "problem" with both of them is that they only optimize the energy. Which is a very important part! And far more than others do, so don't get me wrong. But there is so much more. That's possible to do and Google also does. But I believe that this is something that's not easy if you don't have Googles scale and a whole department only for this. What I mean is: optimize the load on all servers, have a circular supply chain, optimize everything around your primary business (paper, light ...) and so on.

Reactions: Adam

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
Credits
Real Name
Tom Witkowski
What about these guys?
Greenhost

Just heard about them recently, haven't given it a try.
For smaller projects which only require a VPS this would be a solution. Even if this "zero CO2 Emission" ist always a lie. Could be that the energy produces no CO2, but the server production does and so on.