Suggest a fun, future-friendly stack for my next project?

Suggest a fun, future-friendly stack for my next project?

ek1

Local time
16:22
Pronouns
She/her

So the elevator pitch is "femme-first anti-capitalist witchcraft portal" which is obviously going to make me loads and loads of money. But I really like the idea of playing with virtual economies and creating spaces for people to interact with each other online...I have a lot more features etc figured out and a realistic, scoped list of things I want to get done for launch, but now that I realize I'm in a place where I can get more serious about actually starting to work on this, I have to start thinking harder about how exactly I want to do it.

Because I want to do this for fun and I definitely won't have to worry about monetization, I figure it makes most sense to treat it as a learning experience, a long-term portfolio item, and make running it as enjoyable and low-impact as I can - I don't want to have to re-do the whole thing in a year.

For the back end I'm pretty sure I want to use Laravel (Laravel is what we're switching to at work, so it would be good to get some solid experience in) and I was thinking Vue for the front, just because there seems to be a bit of a lasting buzz around it, and I hear good things, but I'm open to suggestions!

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Local time
20:22

Laravel for sure! For the frontend you could also use a Vue Framework like Nuxt.js (you'd need a universal app for server side rendered pages if you want your website to be viewable by most search engines that don't already handle parsing JS websites).

Mike Rees

Local time
19:22

Vue seems to be the go to choice for a Laravel backend. A lot of the Laravel packages ship as Vue components by default. Personally, I prefer React for my Laravel projects but don't tell the Laravel community that!

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
14:22
Pronouns
she/her

I have no input on stack as that’s not something I claim to know much about. I’m convinced you could use pretty much anything to make anything, with some exceptions.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask clarification on what you community goal is. Are you looking to build something like gaiaonline, with forums and a big world to walk around and socialize in, or like neopets?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I've read Laravel in here!?^^
Independent of what you want to do: Laravel will be a good choice for your backend! 😉
If you want to use any SPA, JS frontend or use plain-ol Blade is up to you and what you want to achieve, feel comfortable with and so on.
There are multiple common stacks which you can pick one or use a complete new/other one.

ek1

Local time
16:22
Pronouns
She/her

Whoa Laravel/Vue seems pretty unanimous, and was the most popular answer in that twitter poll @Gummibeer linked...Exciting! I'll keep you all updated :)
@Gummibeer if you've covered this elsewhere, nevermind, but can you recommend a good intermediate Laravel tutorial? Like, I get MVC and I've built a simple app, but have no clue what other functionality there is...?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Whoa Laravel/Vue seems pretty unanimous, and was the most popular answer in that twitter poll @Gummibeer linked...Exciting! I'll keep you all updated :)
@Gummibeer if you've covered this elsewhere, nevermind, but can you recommend a good intermediate Laravel tutorial? Like, I get MVC and I've built a simple app, but have no clue what other functionality there is...?
Still Laracasts^^
They cover to senior level. My favorite stack is Laravel, blade, tailwind/bootstrap & vanilla JS/alpine/drop-in Vue.JS.

And reading the docs will also bring you pretty far. If you've really read und understood the whole docs you will be ~mid-senior level.
In addition I can recommend you some blogs/Twitter profiles.
Freek Van der Herten (Freek murze)
Mohamed Said (themsaid)
Brent (brendt_gd)
The whole spatie Team - including their packages.
Nuno Maduro
Matt Stauffer
And a lot more I would have to search.^^

The action pattern took me pretty far and regarding to clean code I stick a lot to spatie guidelines - you can find our adjusted ones at Elbgoods Guidelines primary the condition part is so important!

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I followed this course a while back, it was great! Covered a huge range of techniques including Vue and I ended up with some software that I used for a project.

Last edited:

TGDesigns

Local time

@Gummibeer Ive been doing a laravel crash course this weekend ... Jeez I didnt know what I was missing out on! All the juicy stuff easy database access, generating models and controllers!

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

@Gummibeer Ive been doing a laravel crash course this weekend ... Jeez I didnt know what I was missing out on! All the juicy stuff easy database access, generating models and controllers!
So glad you like it! 😅
Advertisement: feel free to checkout if one of my packages could be useful. 😉

v1rtl

teen webdev
Local time
22:22
Pronouns
bruh

Golang + GraphQL for API, Nuxt or Next or Sapper for frontend