Structured data - schema.org

Structured data - schema.org

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
02:30
Pronouns
he/him

I use it for the FAQs and the reviews on the Polypane website, but it's pretty much just there to improve the way the site looks in search engines.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I use it for the FAQs and the reviews on the Polypane website, but it's pretty much just there to improve the way the site looks in search engines.
Could you post the link to the structured data test tool? Would like to see what you set and how you've structured it.

Dominic

Local time

I worked in semantic web research for some years. I hated it afterwards! Tooling was bad, nobody used it.

It's slowly coming back again with schema.org and wikidata. I begin to like it again.

Didn't use structured data on websites yet, but I think it makes a lot of sense! Also Wikidata could be very useful to augment websites with more information, multilingual.

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Could you post the link to the structured data test tool? Would like to see what you set and how you've structured it.
Sure, here's the homepage and the FAQ page. I used to also have an FAQ on the pricing page, which showed up in Google so that was nice, but I removed it to make the page itself less cluttered.

Edit: Dominic's post triggered me, back in 2008 is tried (unsuccessfully) to extend XFN to also include professional values: xpn-examples Ā· Microformats Wiki. I think the resurgence of schema.org now is due to the SERP benefits more than anything else.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Sure, here's the homepage and the FAQ page. I used to also have an FAQ on the pricing page, which showed up in Google so that was nice, but I removed it to make the page itself less cluttered.

Edit: Dominic's post triggered me, back in 2008 is tried (unsuccessfully) to extend XFN to also include professional values: xpn-examples Ā· Microformats Wiki. I think the resurgence of schema.org now is due to the SERP benefits more than anything else.

I would recommend you to use SoftwareApplication - schema.org Type on your home-page. This is more precise and has it's own SERP preview: Software App | Search | Google Developers
But the FAQ looks pretty good and is also displayed in the SERP. :)

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

@Gummibeer it seems that SoftwareApplication requires a review or aggregate rating, which I don't have, and also doesn't support the brand, image or description properties.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

image & description are properties of Thing - but could be that Google uses a custom standard there. :(
brand could be replaced by author, copyrightHolder and the aggregate rating could be easily done with 0 values.
But if Google doesn't support the first two properties this is bad. :(

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

aggregateRating needs a positive value for the count, according to the structured data testing tool: "(The value provided for ratingCount must be a positive value.)"

I could give it 5 stars from one review (mine) but, eh...

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

aggregateRating needs a positive value for the count, according to the structured data testing tool: "(The value provided for ratingCount must be a positive value.)"

I could give it 5 stars from one review (mine) but, eh...

Make 2 - mine also :D

kilian

Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Decided to just add one for now and see if it starts showing up in SERPS.