Development Staticbox.io - Comments for the JAMstack

jarod_peachey

Local time
14:08
Project URL
https://staticbox.io

Hey all,

I've been working a lot on a new project of mine, Staticbox. It's a commenting system that prioritizes static sites and integrates with Gatsby and other SSGs. I'm currently in development, but you can check out the marketing site at staticbox.io, as well as the inspiration for it, my first version, here.

Looking forward to releasing this in beta soon!

Upvote 3

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Local time
20:08

Woah this looks awesome already! Great job!
I had the same in mind a few days ago but got lost in the research for antispam mechanisms...
What stack are you using to build this?

jarod_peachey

Local time

Woah this looks awesome already! Great job!
I had the same in mind a few days ago but got lost in the research for antispam mechanisms...
What stack are you using to build this?

Thanks! Yeah, the anti-spam and filtering is going to be the brunt of the work on this.

I'm using Gatsby as the SSG, Firebase for Auth, FaunaDB for all the database functionality and Netlify for hosting.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Thanks! Yeah, the anti-spam and filtering is going to be the brunt of the work on this.
Akismet - industry leading Anti-Spam for comments.
You can also do more in depth email validation - Laravel has a pretty nice validation tool to also check DNS, Spoof and so on on top of simple RFC validation. I bet there's something similar for JS.

jarod_peachey

Local time

Akismet - industry leading Anti-Spam for comments.
You can also do more in depth email validation - Laravel has a pretty nice validation tool to also check DNS, Spoof and so on on top of simple RFC validation. I bet there's something similar for JS.

Yeah, I was thinking of using that, mixed in with some custom stuff. I'm going to allow users to create custom filters for their comments, hopefully Akismet helps with that.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah, I was thinking of using that, mixed in with some custom stuff. I'm going to allow users to create custom filters for their comments, hopefully Akismet helps with that.
Netlify forms are protected by akismet, several other form2mail services too, WordPress has akismet by default.
I've also used it several times. I can guarantee you that akismet will prevent the most spam.

A hint out of experience: don't do too much magic. There are a ton of Anti-Spam ideas but most fail with too strict regulations in long term.
Primary for a SaaS with different users, communities & co I recommend you to only use battle proven logic at the beginning and check how it goes. Your customers will tell you if specific spam goes through - then you can start creating custom logic.

jarod_peachey

Local time

Netlify forms are protected by akismet, several other form2mail services too, WordPress has akismet by default.
I've also used it several times. I can guarantee you that akismet will prevent the most spam.

A hint out of experience: don't do too much magic. There are a ton of Anti-Spam ideas but most fail with too strict regulations in long term.
Primary for a SaaS with different users, communities & co I recommend you to only use battle proven logic at the beginning and check how it goes. Your customers will tell you if specific spam goes through - then you can start creating custom logic.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I'll just start out with Akismet, and maybe do some custom filtering later on...