Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

SpaceX is on a mission to beam cheap, high-speed internet to consumers all over the globe

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 18:41
Pronouns
he/him
Washington (CNN Business) said:
SpaceX is on a mission to beam cheap, high-speed internet to consumers all over the globe. And this week the company revealed a few earthly locations that are already linked to the network, including CEO Elon Musk's house and the cockpits of a few Air Force jets.

Love him or hate him, looks like Starlink is going well and could be game changing in our industry as people worldwide get access to high speed internet. Particularly for 'the next billion users'.

What do you make of this progress? How do you think the web would change if everybody had high-speed access all the time?

Reactions: Kakeru

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 19:41
Website
gummibeer.de
Facebook and Google had same ideas/projects - so time will show. 😉
I hope nothing changes. Pages should get slimmed down - a trend some developers follow by asking "how much JS is needed?".

Reactions: Adam

Kakeru

Reaction score
Local Time
Well since I live in a part of the world with crippling internet speed, this would be amazing. Online games would be played with lower latency, streaming won't be such a hassle. Let's wait and see.

I'm excited.

Reactions: Gummibeer and Adam

Michael

😎
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
codular.com
Google's idea was to use balloons, but I'm pretty sure that's been shelved now. Facebook's was with solar planes, and I'm sure that's been delayed.

With this, SpaceX have actually already got some satellites in the sky!

Reactions: Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Pronouns
he/him
Google's idea was to use balloons, but I'm pretty sure that's been shelved now. Facebook's was with solar planes, and I'm sure that's been delayed.

With this, SpaceX have actually already got some satellites in the sky!
Yeah totally, I was skeptical when I first heard it a while back but the mans got a reputation for getting stuff done, just not on time.

I’m sure if Google or Facebook at the time had the capacity to put things in to space that would have been their first choice also.

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
gummibeer.de
I’m sure if Google or Facebook at the time had the capacity to put things in to space that would have been their first choice also.
So far I know Google has chosen the balloons because they are cheap and Facebook the solar planes because they are also not this expensive and are easily to maintain. A satellite is a whole new level. The other two technologies were also easy to be placed after a catastrophe in the area. So all 3 ideas/solutions have benefits over the others.

Tobby

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.festivilia.com
I can't overemphasize how incredible this will be if it's eventually successful. Living in the part of the world where internet is overly expensive and still unreliable, this will definitely cause a ripple effect on the continent

Reactions: Gummibeer and Adam