Smart Home Devices

Smart Home Devices

Michael

😎
Local time
17:00

Anyone else embracing this? I'm fully into smart home stuff, got Alexa in most of the rooms, lights all automated (a mixture of Wemo Plugs on Lamps + Hue Bulbs).

Just frustrated that there's no good smart blinds on the market at the moment… I know that Ikea have released some, but I don't think they have Alexa support 😦

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
18:00
Pronouns
he/him

I think Ikea has Alexa support. The smart speakers have if I'm right. 🤔
Okay, have read the article description now and Google home is already supported but Alexa & Apple homekit will get support in the future.

At all I have nothing because I haven't found a reason for me why I need it. Our apartment is very small 45qm so every switch is in reach.^^ The only thing I think about are smart heaters. But the prices are too high to only test it. 💸

Michael

😎
Local time

Yea. The blinds they’ve released don’t have Alexa support.

I have Sonos speakers through the house too, and it’s great to get Alexa to play music in each room with zero effort.

AndrewDavidJ

Local time
12:00
Pronouns
He/Him

Yup! Philips Hue, Homepod, smart light switches, smart outlets, and an Ecobee thermostat.

I have a smart TV, but unfortunately it uses an embedded FireTV, so it doesn't play nice with HomeKit and Siri like everything else. We'll eventually switch to an AirPlay-enabled TV + Apple TV combo.

And I would have preferred Nest over Ecobee, but Nest isn't HomeKit enabled either.

Looking to get smart locks next!

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah! I love my Alexa and have a few smart plugs for lights, wax melter, etc.

I think smart locks are just over the line for me at this point. 😅

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
12:00
Pronouns
she/her

I has a bunch of my lights automated via opening doors or motion sensors. Then I moved and never set it back up. I really should. It drives me nuts to have to turn on the light when I come in the door AND have to go back to turn it off. (1st world problems, right?!)

Anyway, when we moved into the new house, I made a few “not smart” switch changes. The laundry room and garage both have motion sensor switches and I put short timer switches on the pantry and the closets. I also but motion sensor lights in the attic. I really wanted to focus on the areas my hands would be dirty, full of stuff, and places lights are forgotten.

leafygreens

Local time
04:00

Anyone else embracing this? I'm fully into smart home stuff, got Alexa in most of the rooms, lights all automated (a mixture of Wemo Plugs on Lamps + Hue Bulbs).

Just frustrated that there's no good smart blinds on the market at the moment… I know that Ikea have released some, but I don't think they have Alexa support 😦

Just don't go away for a week, leaving the fur babies in the care of autofeeders etc. Never, never, never rely on these for anyone/anything with no means of escape in case of malfunction.

leafygreens

Local time
04:00

ps there is no way in hell I will ever say "OK [that company]" to activate any effing thing.

itsfreshmade

Local time
11:00

I've been back and forth on adding my garage door opener to the mix, it'd be handy when I pull into the driveway and voila, garage just opens because my device is within range.

creaky

Local time

Use Alexa to control a couple of smart lights, Xbox & TV at the moment, would like to expand to more stuff in the future.