Solved Should we require some sort of participation before allowing showcase posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
08:41
Pronouns
he/him

I like having a showcase and allowing some self promotion because outside of Product Hunt there are not too many places where you can legitimately share what you’re working on and as web people it is usually something worth discussing! Certainly Reddit looks down on it for the most part and Twitter/Facebook are mostly limited to your own following.

Having said that, it seems that we are listed on quite a few lists as a place to post projects and it attracts a fair amount of people that post a generic blurb and a link and never come back or worse post some totally futile SEO crap that doesn’t work because we no-follow links. 😆

So, my question is:

Do you enjoy seeing new projects in the showcase?

Do you think there should be a minimum post count to post in the showcase?

Would a minimum post count just generate more spam as people try to hit it?

Should the showcase appear in the home feed?

Would love to hear your thoughts! :-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
09:41
Pronouns
he/him

I enjoy them and think that a minimum before showcase will result in spam or less users/showcase.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I enjoy them and think that a minimum before showcase will result in spam or less users/showcase.
Cool, that’s fine if people don’t mind! 😊 Thank you for your feedback. I quite enjoy most of them too, just did not want to turn people off. I remove obviously spammy ones and ask for something a bit more personal.

xtbhyn

💻 🎨 🖊️ 📚 🌱 🍔
Local time
14:11

I think it's fine not to have a minimum bar as of now as the frequency of such posts is pretty low (I feel 🤔). Later on, if things get spammy around here.. definitely yes!

Yes, I agree 😄some posts don't even say a "hello"

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time
09:41

I'd say at least an introduction post where no links are possible would be nice, with a minimum amount of words. So everyone has to think about what they are going to write.

avena

Local time
04:41

Another idea could be using a template for posting, something like:
Project Name:
Project Description (with character limit):
Project Link:
Project Images:
Your Name:
Public Profile (Twitter, Linkedin, Etc):

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Another idea could be using a template for posting, something like:
Project Name:
Project Description (with character limit):
Project Link:
Project Images:
Your Name:
Public Profile (Twitter, Linkedin, Etc):
Now that's an idea! Doesn't limit people participating but still encourages new users to tailor something a bit more personal for our platform. Thank you! 😄

Last edited:

l3ta

Local time
01:41

Maybe something like they have over at TAZ.

Mike Rees

Local time

I like seeing all the projects (so far, if it gets super busy it'll be overwhelming) but I think some kind of format, or anything, to just prevent copy, paste, forget would be nice. That way they might actually remember to come back and respond to comments.

blaq

🌱
Gold Member
Local time

Yes, that would be great to prevent spam or self-promotions...

LividJay

Local time

I agree with the template post idea. I think requiring a limit would just lead to low-quality posts in order to reach such limit and/or deter from showcase posts altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.