Now Live Shirase: A simple tool to create images and embeds of maps

jdourlens

Local time
01:22

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to introduce you a tool I made (100% free / no ads).

The tool is called Shirase and lets you create and customize a map (position, map theme, zoom level, text..). Once you're happy with the result, you can easily export the map as an image or get an HTML code to embed it on your blog or website.

You can give a try to shirase, here.

I hope you'll find it as useful as I do (especially to make header images or just show a place on a static or interactive map in articles or website).

As a bonus, you can also generate really high quality images for printing as a poster for example ;)

PLEASE, Don't hesitate to give feedback so I can make it better.

Upvote 4

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
00:22
Pronouns
he/him

Welcome back @jdourlens! 😄

This is awesome! I have a few feature ideas:

• The poster printing intrigued me, with a red heart label pin added it could make a cute unique gift for first date location, engagement location etc.
  • Would be nice if text could be positioned (eg. center, top left, bottom right)
Since the Google Maps API was heavily limited without putting up a blank cheque credit card I have been searching for a nice alternative. This makes it really easy. Great job!

jdourlens

Local time

Thanks @Adam ! I never been that far away 😀

Thanks for your awesome features ideas,
I did not want to work too much on the poster aspect as there is so much competition on this side with people having crazy marketing budget :D So I hope to get more people finding it useful for blog articles or website integration. I was heavily inspired by Pablo (made by Buffer).

Mangini

MD developer
Local time
19:22

Once you're happy with the result, you can easily export the map as an image or get an HTML code to embed it on your blog or website.

Finally, somebody more fed up than I am of manually taking screenshots of Google Maps! Very useful tool for the performance junkies among us.

My only hangup, is it possible to type in business names or is strictly cities/regions/addresses?

The poster printing intrigued me, with a red heart label pin added it could make a cute unique gift for first date location, engagement location etc.

Very solid suggestion, IMO.

Mangini

MD developer
Local time
19:22

Unfortunately I would need to use Google Places API for this and it would make it expensive for me 🙃

Understandable!

I typed in the address and did the trick anyways. Only thing is when I moved the marker out of the way under "Interactive", the downloaded image put it back to the center. Probably intended, but surprised me when I opened the downloadable image. Fun tool though, can be a cool way to send invites to friends.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 4.21.34 PM.png

jdourlens

Local time

Yes the current way that is done is just an iframe so I can't really transmit back the location/zoom changes to the editor. I need to improve this as it confused most people...

Invites could also be a nice use case! 🙂