Now Live Responsive + Modern Portfolio Site

jarod_peachey

Local time
12:22

Hey all!

I've recently completed my portfolio site, which is a big step in my career. If you don't mind, I'd love for you to check it out and tell me what you think! (good AND bad).

For those who want to know, I built this using GatsbyJS and hosted it on Netlify (kinda obvious from the URL 😂)

Upvote 0

Dominic

Local time
18:22

Hey all!

I've recently completed my portfolio site, which is a big step in my career. If you don't mind, I'd love for you to check it out and tell me what you think! (good AND bad).

For those who want to know, I built this using GatsbyJS and hosted it on Netlify (kinda obvious from the URL 😂)
Good job! Well done.

What I like

• the diagonal menu (I'm on mobile)
  • the text (sounds very marketing/business. Convincing)

What I would do differently
  • the hamburger when menu is open
  • I don't like the apostrophe

Dominic

Local time

Good job! Well done.

What I like

I wrote more, but part of my post got lost :(.

I wrote that I would left align more and would prefer multiple pages to a one pager. (I don't like onepager in most cases)

jarod_peachey

Local time

Good job! Well done.

What I like

Cool, thanks! I was debating doing a multi-page, but settled on single page for the time being. I'm working on a multi-page version currently.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
17:22
Pronouns
he/him

Great structure and content!

I think it would really benefit from a nice sans-serif type. The font feels like it’s broken and losing a default serif to me. The diagonal menu is quite janky on mobile.

The star ratings are also a bit confusing and would probably benefit from lanes such as ‘proficient’, ‘working knowledge’, ‘learning’ etc to be more clear.

Last edited:

jarod_peachey

Local time

Great structure and content!

I think it would really benefit from a nice sans-serif type. The font feels like it’s broken and losing a default serif to me. The diagonal menu is quite janky on mobile.

The star ratings are also a bit confusing and would probably benefit from lanes such as ‘proficient’, ‘working knowledge’, ‘learning’ etc to be more clear.

Yeah, that mobile menu just won't slide out properly on mobile. Do you have any suggestions for that? It's an issue with transform: translate() on mobile, it works fine on a small window on desktop.

I'll look into updating the star ratings and font as well! Thank you!

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I would remove the stars. I would say 5/5 JS is only arrogant but not realistic. 😉
And that's not against you. But if you would earn these five stars you wouldn't need to present them because every JS related dev would know you!

I always hated all these bars, stars or whatever visual representation of skill. Because they are always wrong. Without the scale they are useless.
My recommendation is to let your projects talk for themselves.

nshep

Local time

Some well-meant feedback:

• I agree that the font needs changing, especially your name in the header and footer. Looks like a fallback font right now.
  • I find the hexagons in the About Me section a little harsh. I'd use something softer. I also think that section could use some more/other color. It looks a bit stale together with the header and next section in the same color.
  • I like the Skills section though a lot of people keep saying not to use any sort of indicators for your proficiency.
Aside from that, I think it's pretty solid. Good job!