Not open for further replies.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
16:57
Pronouns
he/him

Would love your opinions on this, I am torn.

There are many options to feature a real-time chatbox on the site where you can communicate with other members. This is also a feature that has been requested a few times.

Against the idea, I do not want to detract from the great meaningful discussions going on in threads and Webwide was built to escape from messy slack chats.

On the other hand, there is regularly people lurking (I see you!) down in the Active Members section without making any posts. Perhaps a live chat box would be a good ease-in to engaging?

What do you think?

I was thinking that if there was one, there could be some rules that any asking for code help, showing off projects, etc. all had to be threads and the chat box was really just for light chat.

Something like this:

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 20.50.13.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ek1
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

TGDesigns

Local time

Its funny ive just been looking at adding chat to my dashboard using pusher

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
17:57
Pronouns
he/him

The only chat I would welcome would be slack, discord or similar.

With multiple channels, direct chat and so on.

adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

The only chat I would welcome would be slack, discord or similar.

With multiple channels, direct chat and so on.

Yeah, fair enough. I won’t be doing that since we’re designed to be a refuge from those messy chats. 😜

I was thinking more for water cooler style chat so as not to detract anything from the forum but seems like we’re leaning no.

avena

Local time
11:57

I voted Yes, but thinking that it could be a chat that works a little different, maybe it can be smart and understand data from the forum. Somehow traditional forum chats end up being just "there".

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
17:57
Pronouns
he/him

I voted Yes, but thinking that it could be a chat that works a little different, maybe it can be smart and understand data from the forum. Somehow traditional forum chats end up being just "there".
So you mean something like a chat/search/help-bot?

avena

Local time
11:57

So you mean something like a chat/search/help-bot?

Yeah, could be. Maybe the bot can recommend forum posts that match keywords in the chat or somehow promote or motivates discussion in threads that aren't receiving much attention or need help, sort of like quora does (but with emails). I am just thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.