PHP turned 25 years 🎉

1995-06-08 - first release of PHP.
Anyone interested in a fantastic visual timeline of PHPs history can check out JetBrains/PHPstorm PHP25 birthday page.

I'm proud that I can say that I've worked with PHP more than half of it's current lifetime (14 years).
It's getting better and better. 🚀
I'm looking forward to PHP8 release - so much cool new stuff to tinker with!

What do you remember of PHPs history? Or possibly related some of the HTML things - because HTML isn't this much older (27years - 1993).

Mike Rees

Local time
17:45

I learned to code through PHP. I mean, I'd done some Speccy BASIC beforehand, but PHP (and Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours) taught me a real understanding of the fundamentals. I use it to this day, though not as my primary language as part of my career any more - more for freelance stuff. I remember the big shift to PHP5, how much of a game changer it was. And I remember being so grateful when PHP7 came along to sort out the shitshow PHP5 left behind it, no matter how much it improved upon PHP4. I specifically remember PHP 5.4 launching, and deprecating the HTTP library. At the time I was working for my course leader at university, and university policy was that software had to be bleeding edge for "security reasons" (lol) so I had 2 days to rewrite his entire business to not make use of that HTTP library any more, so that a nearby airport could still operate its customs tracking. That was not fun.

Happy birthday PHP.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
17:45
Pronouns
he/him

Me and PHP born just 3 months apart, interesting! My first and still favourite programming love. Just so easy and accessible to get started. I feel sorry for upcoming developers who dive straight in to JS frameworks with hours of complicated tooling before hello world.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
18:45
Pronouns
he/him

I feel sorry for upcoming developers who dive straight in to JS frameworks with hours of complicated tooling before hello world.
You don't know how happy I am that I'm not the only one. 😅
Yeah, my way was:
1. HTML
2. CSS
3. PHP
4. jQuery
5. JS
6. WordPress
7. Laravel

And it felt straight - because everything added to the things before but I was always able to do something without the next.