Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

👩‍🎨 Neumorphism 2020 Web Design Trend

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 13:59
Website
adgr.dev
Pronouns
he/him
Screenshot of banking app in a modern skeuomorphic style

Been reading up on 'Neumorphism' or 'Neuomorphism' (from skeuomorphism) today. An upcoming design trend. What do you make of it?

Some neumorphism resources below:
I can see this becoming popular in the Dribbble-sphere but don't expect to see too much application of this on the web due to the difficulty replicating in high fidelity using just CSS. Possible, of course, but it's no secret why flat design took off so much in the web design world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkie

TGDesigns

Reaction score
I like it stylistically but not for actual use, I worked on something like this in Figma but never got round to finishing it. It was more of a test to see if I could mimic the style and design.

Reactions: Adam

ZillieZephyr

Reaction score
I responded to his follow up article. He brings up some pretty good points as to why it shouldn't really be chocked up to more than a short trend.

RobinHood

Reaction score
I like it quite a lot. Saw it posted elsewhere the other day.

There's definitely room to bring elements of skueomorphic design back.

I worked on a theme a few years ago where I added some 'neumorphic' elements to it and I still love the look of it.

EDIT: Why can't I upload images?

JacobHegwood

Reaction score
I really honestly think it might catch on in the long run. All it is going to take is a big software company to start using it and it's game. Everyone said the internet would never catch on... look at us now.

Talia

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 07:59
I like the way it looks, and in general I like the idea of a fresh new design trend that brings back skeuomorphism and creativity in a modern way. But I think it probably needs to evolve before I can completely get behind it because right now it seems a bit impractical and low-contrast.

Reactions: Adam

Talia

Reaction score
Local Time
I often see Neumorphism show up on Codepen (that's where I first saw it, actually) and here's a good example that showed up today:

I think it both shows how awesome Neumorphism looks and the fact that it's a bit flawed, in that I think that the contrast between the outline of the buttons and the background is not great. When you hover over the buttons and they become "lower", the contrast is significantly better. At any rate, I can't deny that it's certainly cool-looking.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: RobinHood and Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
adgr.dev
Pronouns
he/him
I often see Neumorphism show up on Codepen (that's where I first saw it, actually) and here's a good example that showed up today:

I think it both shows how awesome Neumorphism looks and the fact that it's a bit flawed, in that I think that the contrast between the outline of the buttons and the background is not great. When you hover over the buttons and they become "lower", the contrast is significantly better. At any rate, I can't deny that it's certainly cool-looking.
Thanks for sharing Talia! That is a great example. I am still of the impression that it looks technically impressive and aesthetically interesting but I wouldn't actually want to use an interface designed like that.

Reactions: Talia

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
adgr.dev
Pronouns
he/him
Found a few more Neumorphism/Neuomorphism examples, but I can't quite put my finger on why none of these feel quite right to me:

Last edited:
Reactions: RobinHood

frood

Reaction score
I found my style before flat design arrived (see example, and ignore the misaligned search icon)... so I will steal from this what I like and ignore the rest.

For me, the major UI paradigm shift happened with the change from Workbench 1.3 to Workbench 2.0, with perfection being achieved with WB 3.0 and Magic User Interface. Being able to draw very slight gradients at nearly no cost on top of that, well, that's a gift so awesome I'm not surprised humanity had to crush it underfoot with flat design.

Reactions: RobinHood and Adam

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 08:59
Website
Statalog.org
Pronouns
she/her
I like the look quite a bit, but not in a I-would-use-it kind of way. I think it’s probably best to stay in the dribbblesphere. I can imagine it being awful for accessibility. Even if you aren’t colorblind, the subtleties can be hard to pick up. If you can manage a AA contrast, maybe it’ll look okay, but I dunno

Reactions: Talia

Sharkie

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 08:59
Pronouns
She/Her
As a lot of people here, I like the look but can never see myself using it. The accessibility issues just make it more hassle than it's truly worth, I think.

Reactions: VickiLanger

Pandemix

MD developer
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
marketersdelight.com
There is something about this design style that is slightly repulsive to my senses—it's almost as if I am looking at something that is only half-alive, which gives me a creepy feeling.

I will take the fully alive Apple bookshelf all day long!

Last edited: