• Welcome back! We're still rolling out the latest updates so please excuse any mess (and hold off on those bug reports) throughout the rest of today. 😊

🦊 Mozilla's layoffs are bad news for developers

You may have seen the awkward corporate speak announcement that Mozilla is exploring new revenue models and making 150 lay-offs (around 25% of their workforce, on top of the 70 or so in January). They are letting their search deal with Google lapse this year previously responsible for around 90% of their total revenue.

In their 150 layoffs was the MDN and Firefox devtools team. Apparently we're just not that important to Mozilla's mission!

Given this news, will you still continue to support this organisation?

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
02:19
Pronouns
he/him

I'm guilty - I've never used Firefox. 🙈😅
Or better: it's the same like IE/Edge and Safari - if there's a specific bug I open it.

Because my Google account is the center of my digital world - Chrome is the only valid choice for me. 😉

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
01:19
Pronouns
he/him

Do you not use MDN? 😱 That is my biggest worry.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
02:19
Pronouns
he/him

Do you not use MDN? 😱 That is my biggest worry.
Yes & no - I'm using it because it's most times the first link if I search for something and they are great!
But I see some options:
  • Mozilla isn't completely quiting MDN
  • MDN is licensed as CC-BY-SA - so an OSS fork would be easy
  • The MDN team knows about the value and creates a business out of it
  • Another company like Microsoft, Google or any other takes over - big marketing move "being the rescue hero for frontend devs"

At all I don't believe that MDN will simply go away - but possibly a good time to create an autosyncing fork. 🙈😅

gcameron

Local time

Yes & no - I'm using it because it's most times the first link if I search for something and they are great!
But I see some options:
  • Mozilla isn't completely quiting MDN
  • MDN is licensed as CC-BY-SA - so an OSS fork would be easy
  • The MDN team knows about the value and creates a business out of it
  • Another company like Microsoft, Google or any other takes over - big marketing move "being the rescue hero for frontend devs"

At all I don't believe that MDN will simply go away - but possibly a good time to create an autosyncing fork. 🙈😅
Some fair points here about MDN, but the last part would be extremely sad. I don't really trust either MS or Google to do the right thing here, if they did that it would be exactly as you say a "marketing move" rather than something to benefit the community.
I'm concerned!

Last edited:

Mike Rees

Local time

It's a bit depressing, I was hoping to switch back to Fx full-time but I can't see it happening now.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Some fair points here about MDN, but the last part would be extremely sad. I don't really trust either MS or Google to do the right thing here, if they did that it would be exactly as you say a "marketing move" rather than something to benefit the community.
I'm concerned!
I think out of anybody Microsoft could do an OK job of it. They contribute now after all and seem to be in developer favour at the moment with both positive GitHub and VS Code changes. They could even keep the name MDN! Open source is great but MDN shines because it is well moderated and quality controlled. Technical writing just doesn't have the same care and attention without paid full-time people. It shows in most open source docs being subpar.

Last edited: