Welcome to our inclusive community of web designers, developers and makers.
Creating an account takes less than 30 seconds, start participating right away!
Create account

Monospaced Font

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 13:40
Website
Statalog.org
Pronouns
she/her
What's your preferred monospaced font?

I'm a fan of Sometype and Fira. I like that they are easy to read and don't have all the serif craziness of some others.

(Mods: I left this is General Chat because it's kind of a mix of design, front end, back end, and more stuff)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominic and Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 18:40
Pronouns
he/him
I've been using Menlo for a very long time and never really felt the need to change! I am personally not a fan of the fancy ligatures some trendy ones have as I think they add confusion. I like how clean and simple Menlo is. It ships as a default monospace font on macOS.

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 13:40
Website
Statalog.org
Pronouns
she/her
I've been using Menlo and never really felt the need to change! I am personally not a fan of the fancy ligatures some trendy ones have I think they add confusion and I like how clean and simple it is. It ships as a default monospace font on macOS.

I'm honestly not sure what my editor is using. I've never thought to change it either, until I saw what you posted. I feel like mine is busier. Pretty sure it's courier new. Hmm, if it's default on mac, I think I need to figure out why mine isn't using that.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 19:40
Website
gummibeer.de
I've been using Menlo for a very long time and never really felt the need to change! I am personally not a fan of the fancy ligatures some trendy ones have as I think they add confusion. I like how clean and simple Menlo is. It ships as a default monospace font on macOS.

This 👆
But I know a lot use IBM/plex - have tried it and is great but I don't want to install it on every device first and Menlo is PHPstorm delivered. 😂

Reactions: VickiLanger

fbnlsr

Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Website
www.primative.net
Oh my! Don't get me started on this topic. I have an obsession about monospaced fonts.

I'm currently using IBM Plex Mono on my editor, and Terminus (TTF) on my terminal. I love bitmap fonts for their sharpness but unfortunately, Electron's font rendering engine is crap compared to the native OS one, so I need to use a TTF (or equivalent) on my editor.

Back in the day, I loved tiny fonts and Dina was my font of choice. When I switched to mac (and VS Code) a few years ago, I used Ubuntu Mono for a few years, it's a beautiful font. I tried to use ligatures but I'm way too used to seeing all the characters, and while I understand the logic, ligatures feel unnatural to me. I have an elementary OS virtual machine on my PC, and its terminal is using the default Roboto Mono, which is nice looking.

Honorable mentions: Px437 IBM PS/2thin4, Monofur, VecTerminus18, Fantasque Sans Mono and Cousine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dominic

Reaction score
Local Time
Website
dominiclooser.ch
What's your preferred monospaced font?

I'm a fan of Sometype and Fira. I like that they are easy to read and don't have all the serif craziness of some others.

(Mods: I left this is General Chat because it's kind of a mix of design, front end, back end, and more stuff)
Oh, didn't know about sometype. Looks nice! And great name.