VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
00:31
Pronouns
she/her

What's your preferred monospaced font?

I'm a fan of Sometype and Fira. I like that they are easy to read and don't have all the serif craziness of some others.

(Mods: I left this is General Chat because it's kind of a mix of design, front end, back end, and more stuff)

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
04:31
Pronouns
he/him

I've been using Menlo for a very long time and never really felt the need to change! I am personally not a fan of the fancy ligatures some trendy ones have as I think they add confusion. I like how clean and simple Menlo is. It ships as a default monospace font on macOS.

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
00:31
Pronouns
she/her

I've been using Menlo and never really felt the need to change! I am personally not a fan of the fancy ligatures some trendy ones have I think they add confusion and I like how clean and simple it is. It ships as a default monospace font on macOS.

I'm honestly not sure what my editor is using. I've never thought to change it either, until I saw what you posted. I feel like mine is busier. Pretty sure it's courier new. Hmm, if it's default on mac, I think I need to figure out why mine isn't using that.

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
05:31
Pronouns
he/him

I've been using Menlo for a very long time and never really felt the need to change! I am personally not a fan of the fancy ligatures some trendy ones have as I think they add confusion. I like how clean and simple Menlo is. It ships as a default monospace font on macOS.

This 👆
But I know a lot use IBM/plex - have tried it and is great but I don't want to install it on every device first and Menlo is PHPstorm delivered. 😂

fbnlsr

Local time

Oh my! Don't get me started on this topic. I have an obsession about monospaced fonts.

I'm currently using IBM Plex Mono on my editor, and Terminus (TTF) on my terminal. I love bitmap fonts for their sharpness but unfortunately, Electron's font rendering engine is crap compared to the native OS one, so I need to use a TTF (or equivalent) on my editor.

Back in the day, I loved tiny fonts and Dina was my font of choice. When I switched to mac (and VS Code) a few years ago, I used Ubuntu Mono for a few years, it's a beautiful font. I tried to use ligatures but I'm way too used to seeing all the characters, and while I understand the logic, ligatures feel unnatural to me. I have an elementary OS virtual machine on my PC, and its terminal is using the default Roboto Mono, which is nice looking.

Honorable mentions: Px437 IBM PS/2thin4, Monofur, VecTerminus18, Fantasque Sans Mono and Cousine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 09.48.04.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 09.48.04.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Dominic

Local time

What's your preferred monospaced font?

I'm a fan of Sometype and Fira. I like that they are easy to read and don't have all the serif craziness of some others.

(Mods: I left this is General Chat because it's kind of a mix of design, front end, back end, and more stuff)
Oh, didn't know about sometype. Looks nice! And great name.