Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Marketing strategy help

UnitPrice.org

Reaction score
Website
unitprice.org
Credits
Hi, I’m hoping someone will have some tips. I’m struggling with keeping some momentum going with my latest project. Visitors are dwindling, and I’m not sure what I should try next.

My target market is people who are interested in saving money on Amazon. And I suppose anyone who happens to buy and use the products that I analyze. (The site is unitprice.org.)

Where do I begin? I know there’s no silver bullet, but what are some initial steps someone should take to gain more exposure for their site? SEO? Social media? Advertising? Creative or “out there” ideas appreciated too!

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Chez, tom and Adam

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 09:04
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
Some of the best sites I've found for free promotion (when used well) that could work well for you:
  • Reddit
  • ProductHunt
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Facebook Groups
Reddit
Reddit is probably one of the best when used right. I am not sure how familiar you are with it. There are various money saving 'subreddits' which you might do well to share your website in including:
Be aware that Reddit tends to have a 10:1 self-promotion rule, though how this is enforced depends on the individual communities moderation. That is, for every 1 self promotion post you should have roughly at least 10 that are participating in other ways.

Product Hunt
You can only post your product on ProductHunt once at launch but you can get many eyes on your site this way. Each new day on ProductHunt starts at 0:00 PST so it is best to schedule your post for just after midnight in this timezone. Although you're not supposed to ask for upvotes getting a few friends to give it a little boost can help your chances of climbing the ranks (and hopefully ending up in their newsletter) at the end of the day.

Getting to #4 product of the day for Webwide got me around 1000 clicks (though unfortunately not in the newsletter as they go out each weekday and since posting on a Sunday it meant that I didn't get the top 5 for the whole weekend). I imagine this could be even more for a product with more general appeal like yours.

Twitter & Instagram
Both of these have the opportunity for you to reach new eyes by using hashtags for visibility. Check out money saving hashtags, perhaps pregnancy and new mum hashtags for your diaper offers, healthy eating for your larabars etc. You could purchase a social media graphic kit from somewhere like GraphicRiver and customise so you have some nice eye candy or maybe hire someone to get you going if budget allows.

SEO
Your site as it stands is very thin on content and is majorly what Google may consider 'duplicate content' coming from the product titles which isn't going to bode very well for these rankings. Your best bet here could be to add a blog in to a subdirectory of the site and write a blog post about each category with Google in mind.

Presumably paid search nor PPC is going to net enough if any profit to make this avenue worthwhile though I am not too well versed in this area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chez

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 09:04
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
I've been thinking some more about this! If you expanded your 'Pets' selection this could be something that small animal shelters would find useful. Best way to reach those might be cold email (check your local laws on this first before cold emailing! I know there are some restrictions to be careful of here in UK at least.).

Cold email could work for a number of businesses such as daycare centres (baby/child items), homeless shelters (food/living items), etc. Any kind of business that's cash-sensitive and buys in bulk. Should be quite easy to find these kinds of organisations via directories in order to reach out personally.

Some follow-up reading: Is Cold Emailing Legal? What Every Sales Rep Needs to Know About Email Spam

Last edited:
Reactions: Gummibeer

UnitPrice.org

Reaction score
Website
unitprice.org
Credits
Wow, thanks so much for both of your incredibly thoughtful replies! I’m already implementing some of them — launched the blog tonight.

I hadn’t considered cold emailing. I’ll need to do some research on who best to reach out to.

I thought about doing some sort of bot on Twitter, but I want to avoid it being spammy.

Any and all other suggestions are welcome too! Thanks again.

Reactions: Adam

Chez

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I’m hoping someone will have some tips. I’m struggling with keeping some momentum going with my latest project. Visitors are dwindling, and I’m not sure what I should try next.

My target market is people who are interested in saving money on Amazon. And I suppose anyone who happens to buy and use the products that I analyze. (The site is unitprice.org.)

Where do I begin? I know there’s no silver bullet, but what are some initial steps someone should take to gain more exposure for their site? SEO? Social media? Advertising? Creative or “out there” ideas appreciated too!

Thanks for the help!
Hi, I'm a Digital Marketer & Web Designer. I've had a chance to review your site and I think your idea is good.

I also like the flow of the site. It's easy to navigate. My recommendation would be to add a banner animation at the top of the page with images of some of the items that you list

I agree with everything Adam recommended.

I've recently developed a tool for online businesses to use as part of their marketing strategy. The planner has 1 month, 3 month and 12 month options to help you market your website.

I also did some keyword research products you should be offering. I would recommend that you consider advertising to some niche audiences who would find your site very helpful. Typical organisations who are in a hurry and just want to find items quickly.

The key strategy is to know what they are looking for and be there to serve them. I can help you with that.

Please feel free to direct message me.

Sharkie

🦈
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 04:04
Credits
Pronouns
She/Her
Real Name
Shayna
A good time to add cleaning products/disinfectants to your site, @UnitPrice.org? Not that I particularly endorse panic bulk buying of anything, but if people are they might as well find the best deal on your site. 😉
He's not wrong. I think a good marketing tactic for a site like this is jumping on trends! Grab the people who are looking for this stuff, it benefits them and you.

Basically, take this as a long worded "seconded!" comment. 😂