Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Making videos to market your services

sharegrams

Reaction score
I am in the process of making some videos to sell my specific freelancing service.

My strategy will be to give away all my secret sauce, walk through how I do everything, etc. Which will empower my competitors to do my job just as well as I do it. Which is not a big problem. My intention for this is to build a credible reputation and use it to my advantage for landing the bigger fish. At first I thought this would be a terrible idea, but I've come to terms with the fact that. These are the kinds of videos I will enjoy creating, it won't be a chore and that is very important for content creation. And frankly, there is enough of a pie for everyone to have a piece of it. Guarding your secrets may be important for a commodity business, but if you are offering a service. Personality, reputation is much more important for a perspective client IMO.

Making videos is a fantastic way to build brand authority. You can really create a personal connection by being heard over voice, or by showing yourself infront of a camera.

As for how I am making the videos, I'll be using a browser slideshow presentation framework called reveal.js which is free and open source. [0] This allows you to get fancy with animations and such without being boiled down with any actual video editing. You are just editing html code.

When a presentation is finished I use a screen recordering software to go through the presentation while narrating it.

For voice / microphone I am using a Google hangouts process, speaking into my tablet while the receiving Google hangouts instance is open on my desktop and the screen recording software picks it up. This is a "hack" I like because the quality of Google hangouts is impeccable and I don't want to fiddle with microphone quality, hangouts removes all the white noise in my home without me having to tweak anything. The quality is fantastic.

So I would like to open this discussion up to anyone's thoughts on using video for building a brand and marketing your services.

And hopefully motivate some others to create some content for themselves!

[0] hakimel/reveal.js

Reactions: Adam

Gummibeer

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 09:56
Website
gummibeer.de
I really really really want you to take a look in OBS.

It's also free and perfect to record videos but also to live stream.
And there are some good but cheap microphones but even the good ones are "only" around 100€.
It will improve your workflow with just some small adjustments.