macOS Hot Corners

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
06:33
Pronouns
he/him

Not a new feature by any means but I was reminded of this today after a fresh install of Catalina. I've been using the same hot corners for 5 years and never really changed them. I forgot they were not default settings until they stopped working! I was surprised to find them hidden in a tiny button in the screen saver options for some reason?!

If you've not used the feature, it is a set of triggers that can activate certain OS features by moving the cursor in to the corners of your screen. I use the following ones:

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 19.51.53.png

The fact that the options were buried away makes me think is this not a common feature that people use? The show desktop one in particular is my favourite. Being able to use the cursor only to pop the desktop open, grab a file, drag back in to the corner to restore windows and then drop in to my application (such as a file upload or inserting an image in to a document) is great.

I know there is a keyboard shortcut for each one but have to say I am a mouse fan. Also I use a Windows keyboard (half cheapskate half hard to find a nice Mac keyboard with decent key travel) and the shortcuts are not always as convenient.

Is anybody else using these?

Last edited:

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
07:33
Pronouns
he/him

Desktop? You mean this empty screen I see once or twice per year!? 😂
And no, I don't use any of these OS features nor the corners. File drag'n'drop is a pain with 3 screens - CMD+C/V is faster. Programs are opened by CMD+Space (Spotlight). And common programs are in the dock. I even don't use different spaces per screen because the switching dock fucked me up.^^

Lloople

Local time

I used to have the same on the right as you and nothing on the left, but since I own a MBP I'm getting more used to three fingers gestures on the trackpad.

Back in my Ubuntu days I always installed some GUI thing I can't remember the name to have bouncing windows when dragging and hot corners 😅

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
01:33
Pronouns
she/her

I honestly couldn't remember what I had set up for the ones on the right. I use my upper right corner a lot. Nothing to hide, but I'm gonna blame muscle memory for having to logout at work if I stepped away from my computer. 🤣

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I honestly couldn't remember what I had set up for the ones on the right. I use my upper right corner a lot. Nothing to hide, but I'm gonna blame muscle memory for having to logout at work if I stepped away from my computer. 🤣
Do this via touchbar. 😊

fbnlsr

Local time

I only use one: start screensaver on lower-right corner. It's a quick way to lock my computer when I stand up to get a cup of coffee or when I'm on a call.