Looking for Blog/Site CMS

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
11:41
Pronouns
she/her

I really looooove the look and feel of Ghost, but can't justify the $30/month or setting it up myself. I'd like a place to showcase the few things I've written and some projects I've done.
Do you have any suggestions?

What I ❤ about Ghost:

• easy
  • beautiful
  • templating
  • default design to have the "time to read" and the "progress bar"
  • Not ugly or clunky like WordPress

edit: would be awesome if it had the editor on webwide, where it automatically embeds videos, images, tweets, and the like

Last edited:

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
16:41
Pronouns
he/him

So if not Ghost (node.js) are you looking for static on Netlify/GH Pages or something PHP based for shared hosting? 🙂

I’ve been on a similar quest with the exact same thoughts (Love Ghost, don’t want to run a Node server just for it!).

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

So if not Ghost (node.js) are you looking for static on Netlify/GH Pages or something PHP based for shared hosting? 🙂

I’ve been on a similar quest with the exact same thoughts (Love Ghost, don’t want to run a Node server just for it!).

I think I'm looking for something user-friendly and doesn't really require me to learn new things. I'd prefer something with a gui dashboard and a wysiwyg editor. If I can't see it, I suppose I really don't care what language it's based on.

I'm really trying not to learn new things outside of my main focus, python. I can handle html and css, but prefer not to as it's distracting and making things pretty isn't something I enjoy.

I might settle for jekyll and gh pages, but it's not my favorite option. It would take me too much effort to make it not look like jekyll. (too much == more than I want to put in)

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
17:41
Pronouns
he/him

I have to suggest Stancy. 😂
It's PHP based and you have full control over everything including templating engine (as long it's compatible with Laravel).

Is the first example repo which uses GH Actions to auto deploy to netlify. So no server needed. Only a GitHub and Netlify account and a domain. If you want to write your posts online you can use for example Git-backed CMS for Gatsby, Gridsome, Eleventy, Hugo, VuePress, Jekyll, etc. to add/edit your content files.
There's also a PR open to allow custom repositories which would allow using google docs, contentful or whatever as content source.
Atm I prepare a "campaign" to spread Stancy - included would be myself as your very own person to contact to evaluate Stancy and get things done. 😄

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I think I'm looking for something user-friendly and doesn't really require me to learn new things. I'd prefer something with a gui dashboard and a wysiwyg editor. If I can't see it, I suppose I really don't care what language it's based on.

I'm really trying not to learn new things outside of my main focus, python. I can handle html and css, but prefer not to as it's distracting and making things pretty isn't something I enjoy.

I might settle for jekyll and gh pages, but it's not my favorite option. It would take me too much effort to make it not look like jekyll. (too much == more than I want to put in)

Ok, Stancy wouldn't be the best choice.^^

How about a Hugo, Gridsome or any other JAMstack page or static site generator using GH actions or Netlify build to deploy it?

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Netlify CMS looked pretty great and has a one click install with a GUI. Have you seen this? It was on my shortlist. Sign up to Netlify, pick a theme, click install and you're all good to go!

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

I have to suggest Stancy. 😂
It's PHP based and you have full control over everything including templating engine (as long it's compatible with Laravel).

Is the first example repo which uses GH Actions to auto deploy to netlify. So no server needed. Only a GitHub and Netlify account and a domain. If you want to write your posts online you can use for example Git-backed CMS for Gatsby, Gridsome, Eleventy, Hugo, VuePress, Jekyll, etc. to add/edit your content files.
There's also a PR open to allow custom repositories which would allow using google docs, contentful or whatever as content source.
Atm I prepare a "campaign" to spread Stancy - included would be myself as your very own person to contact to evaluate Stancy and get things done. 😄

Forestry looks pretty simple. I'll play around with it. I think it may suffice.

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Netlify CMS looked pretty great and has a one click install with a GUI. Have you seen this? It was on my shortlist. Sign up to Netlify, pick a theme, click install and you're all good to go!

I was already 20 minutes into playing with forestry, but this was super easy too. I think I'll play with both and see what I like best.

Also, I think I realized it's the BB code that I like about this editor.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I was already 20 minutes into playing with forestry, but this was super easy too. I think I'll play with both and see what I like best.

Also, I think I realized it's the BB code that I like about this editor.

Try to do some things with BB code and you will hate it.^^
Markdown is much easier, straightforward and powerful. And I don't know any software, except forums, using BB codes - with a reason.^^

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah BB code is mostly just restricted HTML to keep things in order while still giving some flexibility which is why you only really find it in forums/comment sections.

The autoembedding things are mostly handled by something called oEmbed. There's quite a few JavaScript parsers out there: oembed-parser

WordPress and Ghost support it out the box.

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Local time
Pronouns
she/her

Try to do some things with BB code and you will hate it.^^
Markdown is much easier, straightforward and powerful. And I don't know any software, except forums, using BB codes - with a reason.^^
I believe it. I just liked the ability to paste in a link and a whole preview of an image, a tweet, or a site pops up.

Markdown is super simple, I'm happy to use it.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I believe it. I just liked the ability to paste in a link and a whole preview of an image, a tweet, or a site pops up.

Markdown is super simple, I'm happy to use it.

Like @Adam said that's not BB code. It's only a library checking for known provider links and replace them by corresponding iframe or whatever is used to embed them.
For a forum I first thing about possible XSS vulnerabilities by using oembed. If they are really that good to don't embed something that only was similar.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Like @Adam said that's not BB code. It's only a library checking for known provider links and replace them by corresponding iframe or whatever is used to embed them.
For a forum I first thing about possible XSS vulnerabilities by using oembed. If they are really that good to don't embed something that only was similar.
And one search later I already found the answer: yes, oembed is XSS vulnerable.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

And one search later I already found the answer: yes, oembed is XSS vulnerable.
This one is whitelisted with custom HTML from a JSON response so we're safe. Only a couple of services use that type here. Most are simply matching URL patterns and using custom code. Some implementations of oEmbed use provided code from anywhere that supports it (as you've discovered)!

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 21.48.07.png

Last edited: