JAMstack Comments 💬

jarod_peachey

Local time
23:47

Hey everyone,

I've recently been working on a project that I'm quite excited to show you all!

About a month ago, I was looking to add comments to a JAMstack website of mine but struggled to find options. I came across a great article on csstricks.com, which helped a lot. However, that option required rebuilding the site every time a new comment was added. This wasn't ideal, as Netlify and other hosting sites have limits to build time on the free tier.

So, I created my own way of doing it, which displays all new comments, but only rebuild if you need it.

It's a simple, drop-in method of adding comments to a static site, with custom theming available.

I'd really appreciate if you could check it out and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
05:47
Pronouns
he/him

Hey,
at first: your links are formatted the wrong way. It shows the link and redirects to the text. 😉
In addition: for me it's primary about the idea - which is good!
The tool has too much hard-bindings which I don't use: gatsby, react, netlify forms, graphql and so on.

But the idea is cool! 🚀 Possibly you could/should adjust your post / write a new one with some more details on the general code snippets and the concepts without binding too much to any framework/tool.

Last edited:

jarod_peachey

Local time
23:47

Hey,
at first: your links are formatted the wrong way. It shows the link and redirects to the text. 😉
In addition: for me it's primary about the idea - which is good!
The tool has too much hard-bindings which I don't use: gatsby, react, netlify forms, graphql and so on.

But the idea is cool! 🚀 Possibly you could/should adjust your post / write a new one with some more details on the general code snippets and the concepts without binding too much to any framework/tool.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll fix the links 😅

Yeah, being dependent on Netlify is not ideal. I'm working on making it platform-agnostic. Basically, the comments would be stored in a database like FaunaDB or CouchDB, maybe MongoDB. I'll create a comment dashboard as well.

This is just the core functionality of the project. Eventually, I'll make it so people can sign up and have a dashboard and have their comments stored in a secure DB. That way, they can host it wherever they want to.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
05:47
Pronouns
he/him

If I somewhen recreate my page and start my blog I will recreate this idea with alpineJS and airtable or something similar.

I like the idea and it's transferable to nearly every stack because at the end it's only a simple templating engine and an ajax request.