IT/Development exhaustion

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
04:54
Pronouns
he/him

Hey all,

during the last week's I feel exhausted from development.
Not in the burnout way, I'm still powerful/productive, but that I'm asking myself how long I can keep up with the pace.

Laravel itself comes up with a half year major release schedule and on one side it's amazing but it also requires quite some time.
I know that Laravel is one of the more active frameworks/ecosystems and possibly the most active PHP one. But like always it has its pros and cons.

And on top I'm doing a lot of useless/waste work at work. But also using outdated tools and techstacks which means that I always have to keep multiple versions in my head.

The most notable change is that my GitHub notifications aren't always zero anymore ...
I have ~10 notifications open since months because they depend on each other and some other reasons.

Do you know this feeling that you just want to move into a cabin in the woods and shut down the world for some months?^^

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
03:54
Pronouns
he/him

I often feel the same way. Although much of my work is not that complex (mostly eCommerce, brochure sites and CRUD apps) I have tried to accept that I will never keep up with everything.

I try and learn things that might help me solve new problems but otherwise as long as the tools I have and know are completely serviceable and secure then I think there is nothing wrong with sticking with what you know. Certainly the companies I work for do not keep up with the pace of change that the dev world seems to love. It would cost them a fortune keep rewriting everything!

Open Source can be a thankless role as we've discussed before. It is a lovely thing to do but not worth being exhausted over. Could somebody adopt some of your least favourite packages?

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

Yeah, possibly I've written it not this good/clear.
What makes me really exhausted is keeping up with the old/outdated "****". 😂
I'm one of the ones refactoring a lot to keep also legacy apps up with current states. This makes finding new team members a lot easier and also to explain to them how everything works because it's up with the current state of the art.

After this post I've also worked on a new Laravel fix and have a follow-up feature PR. 😆

------

Regarding the packages:
it's more like an achievement for me. Even if I'm sorry for the developers creating issues or PRs - but I don't have to put every free minute in these projects.
And that most of these don't get any new comment is also a sign for me that they aren't THIS important. 🙈😂

But I'm always welcoming other devs - https://astrotomic.info is only me right now. But if anyone is interested to help me with the existing ones and/or even use it as a platform to publish some of his own ideas: just send me a message! 🙂

Evan

Wordpress / Divi / Avada / Oxygen
Local time
22:54

I've been feeling like this for a while, mainly due to a specific project. It sucks when you spend a lot of time working on something, and you end up fighting it rather than make actual progress. Realizing it's time to find a better tool also sucks because that means you're back to square one basically.

I made it to that last stage just this week and it was a relief of sorts, since the new tool really is quite nice, but there's a mountain ahead of me yet.

I've had a few smaller (and not so smaller) projects thrown at me along the way, which I jumped at since it meant I didn't have to work on the original project. But now those projects are done and all I have left is the original **** sandwich. Just a waste of so much time, and knowing I'll likely need to waste a weekend plowing through it so we don't go over budget also sucks. Very much looking forward to getting it off my plate, but am also expecting a lot of tweaks once it's live from the client.

Gummibeer

Astroneer
Local time
Pronouns
he/him

I've been feeling like this for a while, mainly due to a specific project. It sucks when you spend a lot of time working on something, and you end up fighting it rather than make actual progress. Realizing it's time to find a better tool also sucks because that means you're back to square one basically.

I made it to that last stage just this week and it was a relief of sorts, since the new tool really is quite nice, but there's a mountain ahead of me yet.

I've had a few smaller (and not so smaller) projects thrown at me along the way, which I jumped at since it meant I didn't have to work on the original project. But now those projects are done and all I have left is the original **** sandwich. Just a waste of so much time, and knowing I'll likely need to waste a weekend plowing through it so we don't go over budget also sucks. Very much looking forward to getting it off my plate, but am also expecting a lot of tweaks once it's live from the client.

I think the very last part/sentence is the very worst for every developer. We are out of budget but have to "finish" some features - so just make them shitty that we can let customer pay for fixing them.

I hate if company politics get into my business and primary because it nearly always would be better, cheaper and easier for ALL to move the deadline and make a good product ...

I wish you the best to get it done! Are you freelancer or employeed?

Last edited:

Evan

Wordpress / Divi / Avada / Oxygen
Local time
22:54

I wish you the best to get it done! Are you freelancer or employeed?
I am employed. Honestly I know it sounds dramatic, but this project pushed me to the point where I started updating my resume and looked at other places for employment. It wasn't the sole reason; there are a number of things that add up to make work frustrating, but it was the tipping point. Finding a better solution earlier this week eased the tension a bit, but I ran into a few roadblocks today that put me back in that crappy (and likely overblown) mindset.

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Local time
03:54
Pronouns
he/him

I am employed. Honestly I know it sounds dramatic, but this project pushed me to the point where I started updating my resume and looked at other places for employment. It wasn't the sole reason; there are a number of things that add up to make work frustrating, but it was the tipping point. Finding a better solution earlier this week eased the tension a bit, but I ran into a few roadblocks today that put me back in that crappy (and likely overblown) mindset.
Boy have I been there. I have had some projects recently where I wish I could have just thrown my hands up and left were it not for relationship of future work.

tom

Creator of StickerRun®
Community Team
Local time

Boy have I been there. I have had some projects recently where I wish I could have just thrown my hands up and left were it not for relationship of future work.

I hope the one we're doing together now (and the ones after that one) won't become one of those 😅 And I'm really working hard for that to not become like one of those!

B2T:
I've been in the same situation and am in the same situation right now. This is mostly caused by endless projects that never seem to get done. Also if you have deadlines that are totally unreachable and have to hassle together all the things with the product becoming more and more unstable the longer you work on it.

Last edited: