Webwide is the inclusive forum community for web designers, developers & makers.

Whether you're an enthusiast, in training, or a seasoned pro – you'll fit right in at Webwide. We understand that our community is one of creation which is why we, unlike many other discussion forums, encourage sharing of your own projects and content. Creating a forum account is fast, easy and completely free so you can start participating right away.

Read our Code of Conduct

Free Forum Membership Benefits

• Participate in hundreds of interesting discussions
  • Network with industry peers and make new connections
  • Show off your own projects and relevant content
  • Get help and feedback for your coding and designs
  • Buy and sell services and resources in the marketplace
  • Participate in our friendly community challenges
  • Earn trophies and work your way up our leaderboards
  • Enjoy exclusive Webwide member discounts and offers
  • ...and so much more!

Instagram just took its divisive ‘hidden likes’ experiment global

Adam

Mr. Webwide
Administrator
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 10:15
Credits
Pronouns
he/him
  • Love
Reactions: ek1 and Gummibeer

sharegrams

Reaction score
Credits
This is just an attempt to make influencers have less influence. Instagram isn't interested in a bunch of accounts having power like that. They want businesses to buy ads.

Instagram gives absolutely no *@#!'s about "user health".

Last edited:

VickiLanger

Asks "why?" too much
Gold Member
Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 05:15
Website
Statalog.org
Credits
Pronouns
she/her
This is just an attempt to make influencers have less influence. Instagram isn't interested in a bunch of accounts having power like that. They want businesses to buy ads.

Instagram gives absolutely no *@#!'s about "user health".
I totally agree. They’re acting in their own interest. Though, I can see a few other benefits.

In a world where we don’t see how many other people like things, we are able to avoid our instinct to like things that tons of others like.

Reactions: Gummibeer

ek1

Reaction score
Local Time
Today, 06:15
Website
erinknowles.com
Credits
Pronouns
She/her
This is just an attempt to make influencers have less influence.
I'm not so sure. Anyone wanting to sponsor an influencer will be able to tell from the comments on their posts whether or not it's a good ROI. I can't imagine anyone does it by likes alone. Besides, instagram benefits from instagram influencers. If the influencers jump ship to TikTok or VSCO or something, instagram gets NOTHING - not even the ad revenue.

Also: "While likes won’t be publicly visible as a user scrolls through content, brands and agencies who use a platform with API approval will still be able to see, filter, and analyse an influencer’s engagement rate."

Here in Canada likes have been hidden for quite a while. The change I've noticed in myself is that I'm more likely to use the platform - I post things more often because I don't have to worry about how many likes I get. I absolutely think Instagram's motivation here is monetary - especially since Facebook still allows likes - but I wonder if maybe they're realizing that what's good for your users is good for your platform.